1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

electrical question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JB926, Apr 5, 2008.

1. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

this is a little off topic but wanted to pick your brains. I am having a electric service put in at my shop and have done the work myself and the electric company will run it to a meter. they called me and wanted to know what size load i would be running. I said 100 amp and was wrong and the guy wasent offering much help. What would be my load so this thing could get done already. all I would be running would be about 6 flouesent balasts maybe a compressor, radio outlets tools etc. its only a 300 sq ft work shop. can some one please help me out.
  2. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Standard is at LEAST 200 AMPS service at 240 volts. Commercial service could also be 3-phase (a whole nuther world of machinery).

Get the 200 AMPS. You might someday want a big compressor , a welder setup, central air conditioning, etc etc. You also might wanna sell the place someday and a full service will be added value.
  3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Definetly 200, if a low-use shop. If youre going to get crazy, or want to expand eventually, go 400.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

How big a shop? 200 would be the modern minimum, especially if you go in for welding.
  5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto on all posts. When I built my shop, I went 200 amp, which seemed
    overkill until, over the years, new circuits were added and I would have
    kicked my self with 100 amp.
  6. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

I doubt the electric companies would install a feeder line rated any LESS than 200 AMPS. So at least go 200 amp panel.