1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassmasterB, Apr 15, 2005.

1. GrassmasterB

GrassmasterB LawnSite Member
    from Florida

i picked up a new customer that hasn't cut their yard since sometime last year. its a small yard so it will be easy to do after its done the first time,but while we're walking around the yard they tell me, in this general area there is a live electric wire that use to go to the light on the carport. now its coiled up under about 2' of grass. now i'm having 2nd thoughts in fear of finding that wire with my mower since they don't know the exact location. has anyone ever cut a live wire with their mower or trimmer? if so what happened?
  2. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

If it's 110v you'll never even feel it if you hit it with your mower or trimmer. Hell, you could grab it and only get tickled. 110v=tickle, 220v=knock you on your a**, 440v=casket
  3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Would not want to mow that the first time! Let a scrub get it, then take over when he bites the dust!
  4. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

If it "used to go" then turn it off or disconnect it. If it is still in use it violates th NEC.
    If they won't fix it right....see ya!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Make them mark it, take it out, or find themselves another LCO.
  6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

If its live, than you should be able to find its source. Then simply just unplug it. Plus, if your deck is high, as I imagine it will be at least 4 or 5 inches (being 2 feet of grass). Then you wont even touch it going over it, but I woudl disconnect it anyway!
  7. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

If you think 110-volt AC wont kill you then you have a lot to learn about electricity! And you should not give anyone any advice on the matter!
  8. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I get hit with 110 now and again lol. The 220 will put you on your ass though. I know. But still, even 110 will kill ya with the right things going on.
  9. harley29710

harley29710 LawnSite Member

voltage doesn't mean squatt. AMPS KILL!!
  10. Lawn Wolf

Lawn Wolf LawnSite Member
    from 77090

I want to see you put your finger in a light bulb socket and hold it for 1 minute while your grounded. If you live to tell about it , your a better man then I.