Electro-Magnetic Blade Clutches?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Lawn Boy Pro, Apr 14, 2003.

1. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, heres the bottom line. I have An Encore PRO-LINE, and the PTO is electric, and the clutch is electro-magnetic. It WAS working fine, but now when I engage it, It doesnt get full RPMs to the blades for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Is this due to incalibration or not? I think I know how to fix it, but I'm not sure if this "delay" is normal or not.

Also, I took my extra blades off that made doubbles-Still had the clutch problem.

atlantec landscaping logo-small.jpg

2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Mine did something like that, or twice they would not engage at all, took it to the dealer, he used feeler guages to set correct distance for the clutch.

3. The Lawn Boy Pro

Thats what I was afraid of. Thanks for the help though.

Hey Eric, u got input on this one???

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Check that the drive belt is tight first LOL but if it is, and your spindle bolts are tight also then there are three locknuts on little bolts with springs on the clutch. Tighten these like a 1/4 turn or so until it engages and gets to speed instantly. Don't overtighten these. I'm not real familiar with electric clutches, fortunately, but I'm sure there is a place to use a feeler gauge as mentioned by wriken. You could just solve the problem once and for all if you just take off the electric PTO junk and put on a pulley and setup an idler clutch, then you can run doubles all day long every day and never ever wear out the clutch! :D

5. The Lawn Boy Pro

Thanks, but I like to keep things original so my dealer doesn't go "Who the hell put this on here?!!!!!!!!!!!!"

P.S.- I know u were kidding-but thats what would happen if I realy did it. :(

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

No I wasn't kidding that's what I would've done. I never take mine to the dealer. Ever. Even if I did I wouldn't care what he said about it, if it improves the life of my machine, performance, comfort, or anything like that then I could care less what everyone else says about it. Just look at my mower!!!!! Do you realize how many people I had boo-ing me when I did all this stuff lol. It all works great and does what is needed, some of it is for performance, some for comfort.

It has:
    Manual blade clutch
    Double blades
    OCDC
    6 cu. ft. catcher (dump while on mower clamshell style)
    striping flap
    3rd caster wheel on front
    debris bag
    cup holder
    lights
    sulky
    rope start (would like electric but it's just more complicated, more things to go wrong and cost more)
    hydro (a must have, cheaper and better than belt)

You know alot of that stuff I added. But after using it with that stuff I can't imagine how I would go without it. Ok I rarely use the lights but there have been times in years past where I have needed them. Rarely use the catcher except for leaf cleanups, which it is great for. But everything else is used everytime the engine gets started, and I don't know how I would go without it.
    No mowers stock at my place!!!! I'm not kidding or exaggerating!!!
    TTYL,
    Eric

7. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

If you clutch is adjustable(with three bolts), then normally the air gap should be 0.010".