Electronic billing

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Greg Huffman, May 13, 2007.

1. Greg Huffman

Greg Huffman LawnSite Member

Would any of you use an electronic billing system? I saw an ad for one that said they could get your money in your account a few days after you did the work. It was a while back that I saw the ad, but if I remember correctly the percentage charge was somewhere around 2.5 or 3.0% of the total bill. After thinking about it I decided that I could pad the bill that much and I don't think it would raise a red flag with the customer. It also sure beats having to wait a month or better for my money.

Does anyone use a system like that? What's you guys take on it? Would you ever do something like that and why or why not? I would appreciate any comments because this would be a whole new thing for me. It would be a world of change from leaving my bills in the customers doors but it would also save time in invoicing, running checks to the bank, reminding late customers to pay, etc. and of course shaving off 30 to 45 days in my waiting time for my money is a really nice bonus.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would do this in a heartbeat, before credit cards even, what a deal, where this is?
  3. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at 1 this year and really thought about it but my bookeeper was cheaper so I went that way . the Billing service was called GRAS$$ Landscaper Billing 800 464 OBEX I think this is a link to their home page http://www.obexdata.com/serv01.htm
  4. topsites

oic no, I was thinking more of something along the lines of, when a lot is serviced, the money is electronically transferred from their account to mine (thou customer approval initiating the transfer would likely be the deciding factor), like instantly if they saw the bill that afternoon and approved it that evening the money's in my account and no checks to worry about.

Because electronic debits would eliminate some deposits, that saves me time and fuel, maybe like a paypal thing.
    But here all they're doing is the send-out-bill part of things, I'd still have to track who paid and who hasn't...
    My only other problem is once a 3rd party needs my customer's information, that makes me kinda leery.

With electronic debits, I would get wary once someone can access an account...
    Because I can do it from my end, but once I have access I can withdraw any amount, and here this might make the customer nervous... Even if it doesn't, I'd sure hate to typo 300 instead of 30, of course it will get straightened out, but I can only imagine the implications, my end lacks the boundaries and limitations I ask for.
    So the trick is to find a system that first allows the customer control over the amount, allows no control beyond this, and once set up is point-and-click.

They're kinda getting into the 'medical billing' business, so to speak, from another direction.
    I hope it works out for them, there might be something to it, some Lco's will like it, I'm sure.
  5. topsites

Oh, I'm sorry...

I missed this bit: Detailed reports are mailed to you each month that show you what you charged each customer, how much they owe, and for how long, plus much more!

hmmm, well, it's something to consider.
  6. Greg Huffman

Thanks for your responses.

Gra$$ isn't quite the same thing as I saw. They billed on the same day as the work was done and got your money a few days later. Gra$$ seems to still have you waiting that 45 day period between doing the work on the 1st, billing at the end of the month, waiting for your check, going to the bank, and then waiting for the check to clear.

I sent Gra$$ an email to get more info. but I haven't heard back yet. That is the opinion I have based on their website, I haven't gotten anything else yet.
  7. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

Gregg best way to contact Gra$$ I found out was to call them on the phone .Twj
  8. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

If you use Qickbooks software you can have them do your billing for around .80 per unit, the customer has the option of paying online with a credit card or mailing a check.
  9. Greg Huffman

zturncutter If you use Qickbooks software you can have them do your billing for around .80 per unit, the customer has the option of paying online with a credit card or mailing a check.

What do they charge for a discount rate for credit cards?
  10. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

i use paypal virtual terminal and just keep cc#'s on file. its 2.5% plus $20/month. and then like $0.30 per transaction.

switched this spring and i love it, 24 hours and its in my paypal account earning 5% interest, 24 more and its in my checking account, limits risk, filters pita's.
    i charge em each day at the end of the day. i will be dropping any residentials this fall that arent on credit card.

not to mention, the residentials that refused to switch were new, and turned out to be the worst of the lot, lowest paying and pita's. since then i've let a few sign up that refused cc payments and they were pitas .. so it seems to work quite well to filter out the losers and only let in serious people by telling them right off the bat on the phone its credit card only.
    and i save a good 5 hours printing and mailing bills.

anyone cancels, i dont have to wonder if they will pay since they already have lol.
    it was all around a great move.