Electronic ph tester

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by grasskicker71, Jul 27, 2008.

1. grasskicker71

grasskicker71 LawnSite Member

Have any of you guys ever used one. I found one for about $20. I did not know how good it would be.It would be nice to walk around a lot and take measurements to just see how much lime you need.Thanks

2. Tnlawnguy

Tnlawnguy LawnSite Member

I've seen something similar at the big box stores but I was skeptical about getting it cause I didnt know how good it would work. I'd love to hear any feedback as well.

3. NINER

NINER LawnSite Member

I HAVE A NICE ONE FROM TURF-TEC INTERNATIONAL. WWW.TURF-TEC.COM.
    NO BATTERIES. IT MEASURES FROM 1" TO 4" I WAS SKEPTICAL ABOUT HOW CLOSE TO AN ACTUAL SOIL TEST WOULD BE AND DID A FEW TO CHECK PRETTY MUCH ON THE MONEY. THE COST IS $300.00 BUT WORTH IT NO NEED TO SEND OFF A SOIL TEST AND WAIT FOR THE RESULTS YOU CAN JUST CHECK PH RIGHT IN FRONT OF CLIENT IF YOU NEED TO TO SHOW IF IT NEEDS LIME OR NOT OR ADDITIONAL APPS AFTER THE FIRST. GREAT SELLING TOOL.

4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Hanna Instruments has a good one for around $100, or a bit less. You can Google them. Any pH meter must need a battery and have a glass electrode to provide reliable measurements. Those "RapidTest" meters at Home Depot are trash.... they ONLY meaure the pH of the water used to make the soil slurry.

Use distilled water to make the slurry, and cross check your first results with a certified lab or your local cooperative extension.That is how I learned what is, and isn't accurate.

And I agree, it's a great sales tool.... especially with new customers, I let them watch me make the measurement. "Mr Smith, you don't need lime, and you just saved $40." Then, when I do recommend an application, they trust me. I do NOT violate that trust.... ever. On the other hand, if the pH is low, you still did more than the next LCO that throws down lime just because he can.

The glass electrodes do need to be replaced periodically, so buy a meter from a company that won't rip you off.... make sure the electrodes are replacable, and obtainable at a reasonable price. The Hanna pHep5 is a good unit. They also have an 800 number, and are very helpful and honest when advising you on what unit best suits your needs. Be sure to rinse the electrode after each use, and buy some storage solution, which will extend the usefull life of the electrode. Keeping it wet in the storage solution will save $ down the road in electrode replacement costs.

5. NINER

NINER LawnSite Member

Check Out The Ph-1 Unit At Turf-tec No Batteries

6. Whitey4

Why spend so much when the Hanna unit is only around $100 and is quite accurate?

7. NINER

NINER LawnSite Member

Didnt See The One U R Speaking Of When I Was Googling For Some Testers May Be I Will Look Into One If This One Breaks Or Something Goes Wrong. I Actually Lost The End Of The Probe The Other Day When I Pulled Out Of The Ground Called Turf-tec And They Sent Me A New One At No Charge Had It Back On And Checking Another Lawn In 2 Days

8. Whitey4

Turf tec actually sells the Hanna pHep5 unit... for $110, but it can be found elswhere at closer to $100.... I saw it on their site from the link you provided. It might be considered a pain to mix the slurry, but it makes the whole thing look more... "technical" when a customer watches. While I am doing the mixing, etc, I am selling the whole time. "I won't put down lime unless you need it, blah blah..."

9. NINER

NINER LawnSite Member

The Slurry Mix Is A Little Too Much Time Consuming For Me The Ph-1 Gives A Reading In 60 Seconds Or Less. Pluus I Use It For Mostly Upselling Like If They May Need Additional Lime After The Initial App Has Been Done With 250 Clients To Keep Track Of And Sell New Jobs Its A Real Time Saver I Still Take Soil Samples On A Few Here And There Just To Make Sure Of The Accuacy So Far Its Been So Close I Am Almost Ready To Rely On It Totally. I Just Put It In The Ground In Different Areas Of The Lawn As I Am Measureing And Jot Down The Readings.