1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Electronic PH tester

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T Edwards, Sep 7, 2004.

1. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

I saw this little jewel in Lowe's today. It's nothing more than a probe and an old style meter that swings to the soil PH measurement. Has anyone used one of these and how accurate are they? For $13.98 I might have to buy a new toy. I love gadgets.
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I am familiar with soil pH probes but not the one you mention.

you called it a toy and for the cost it might be worth having but I wouldn't want to make any serious decisions based upon a reading.

problems with them that affect pH readings are soil type, moisture and soil chemistry.

3. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Oakton PH tester I got from Gempler's and works great. If more testing is required, I'll sent a soil sample in to the lab. Most of the time the Oakton PH tester does the trick for me.
  4. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

We got ours from Forestry Suppliers. In addition to the PH tester, we got a soil test kit, soil compact tester, moisture tester. It is great to have the customer standing right there when we get the results. It is not as in depth as CLC labs, but for a simple tool it is awesome. All of it was under $300.

Forestry Suppliers Link
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I purchased one 2 years ago. Best investment I ever made. It is a quick easy way to get an guestamate of what the fert and Ph is. It is no exact estimate by any means ( and should do a genuine soil sample for exactness) but has made me many sales of fert, lime and such to better the lawn when the customer can actually see that it is low or high.
    I probably made 300x over and above what that dang little thing cost.
    I am now in search for a new one since one of my probes has broken. I belive I will take a trip tommarrow to lowes to see if they have any.
  6. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Kelway nursery quality pH tester. You just jab it into the soil to get a reading. Very accurate - sells a lot of lime applications.
  7. greenblood

greenblood LawnSite Member
    from Pa

Biologic sells one for testing thier food plots through Cabelas for around #20