elegator gate lifter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rmmllc, Mar 6, 2008.

1. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

Has anyone used this? http://www.elegator.com/index.html
    I could try to make one, but my time is short this time of year and is better spent doing more productive things. Any other suggestions?

I'll post on "trucks and trailers", too, to maximize responses (so I know my options)- thanks guys.

2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

yea, they help your back a ton at the end of a long day. They use springs to help transfer the weight, so your part to lift is extremely light when lowering the gate on your trailer.

3. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

they seem pretty reasonable- $200 for a pair of 2. I've got a big gate on back of an Isuzu NPR (7 wide X 6 tall), so I'm going to do something, just wondering if this is the best bang for my buck.
    Considering my time to be valuable, $200 seemed ok- any other suggestions? If I had started in the winter I could have made some, but I've read about safety issues on here and these looked pretty good that way, too.

4. BCNU

BCNU LawnSite Member

look at gorillalift also, this is what i use on my trailer and they work great. I think the link is www.gorillalift.com

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, I will give my $.02. For one, don't go with the Gorrila lift, they are poory designed with their PLASTIC roller wheels on the cable, and then cost $10 each, times four, to replace them (once a year). I bought a pair about 1 year ago and one roller went out mid summer, also one cable is already fraying.

The elegator, to ME, just seems to be poorly designed as well. Open spring design I just don't like

The only really GOOD gate lift I've found is the EZ Gate by Ballard. No, I'm not a dealer either. I had one for years and really liked it. I had replaced it simply because the gate on my big trailer is simply too heavy for a one spring set-up, but I then put it on my smaller trailer and it worked awesome for that. Unfortunately it was stolen last fall...

6. GNB

GNB LawnSite Member

I Agree.i Have The Ez Gate Lift By Ballards And Couldnt Be More Satisfied.i Did Your Research For You.get The Ballards Ez Gate.

7. BCNU

BCNU LawnSite Member

I have been using the gorilla lift for the last 3 years and have never had to replace any rollers. My freind uses gorilla lift also and has never replaced any rollers. Do you have a link for the Ballards ez gate I would like to check them out. I will be adding a new trailer and if the E Z gate is a better design I would definetly give them a try.

8. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

I checked out both of the listed lifters- thanks for doing my research for me :)
    I'll consider all those. Problem is I have less than 4 feet of rail room. It is on a dovetail to an enclosed box- I'll post a picture tomorrow. How long are the other units?
    As for safety- the springs and clips look very heavy duty on the elegator (you may have to watch the video to see them well- I had to pause it to look at them)- you can talk me out of it if I'm wrong- I'm not set on them yet. I think it would take less room (important since I have little). They also have a safety cord down the middle. Looks like rope, but I could replace it with cable. They must have to prove to one of the thousands of governmental agencies that they are safe, right? Thanks guys-

9. Jason Rose

I'm glad you have had better luck with the Gorrila lift than me... I was just passing along the info of replacing the rollers every year. That's actually what I was told I was supposed to do on the phone by the manufacturer! They said the rollers are "designed to be replaced every season". Just about the goofiest thing I had heard. Granted I only had one roller out of the 4 that stopped rolling, and then was cut thru by the cable, but the others are showing definate signs of wear. I bought a full set of rollers, but not about to replace one till it needs it again.

10. Jason Rose

Did you notice anything about the gate that it's attached too? Have you ever seen a gate that small and flimsy looking? It appears to be a VERY lightweight and poorly built gate, which means that it would be very EASY for any spring to lift it.

Yes, there's a rope that runs in the center of the spring.

I see where your problem lies though. With that little room lengthwise on the siderail you aren't going to be able to fit most of the brands mentioned on there. (EZ gate, Gorrila lift). I know that Trimmer Trap makes a gate lift spring deal too that fits in just a couple feet at the eld of the side rail, but it's another totally open spring design. But it might be a candidate since you are short on room. http://www.trimmertrap.com/site/accessories/ga-1-gate-grabber.html