Elegator or Gorillia lift assist?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jpp, Mar 12, 2009.

1. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

What type do you use? What do you like about the particular unit that you are using? Doesn't have to be these two, let me know I am trying to decide what to get. Just had the gate reinforced and it is heavier than I thought it was going to be.

Thanks,

JP

2. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

you might be able to make something like the elegator assist using some eye hooks, and some garage door springs, but the gorilla assist seems a lot more secure, and it seems to blend in a little more.

3. bluesprucelawncare

bluesprucelawncare LawnSite Member

Gorillia i just put it on my trailer... maybe the ramp a foot longer and ordered it to help me lift it. i dont know about other brands but this was square tubing and i could sand it down to re pait it easer and i can mount my blower holders over it easer than one of the circle tubing ones i thought. plus it works welll

4. jpp

That's funny, because I was thinking the same thing about the garage door springs. lol Yep the elegator looks like it would be in the way to me it it set up.

Thanks,

JP

5. jpp

Do you have the actual length of the part that goes on the rail? I have a 16 foot trailer, so I believe I can still use the trimmer racks without any problem.

Thanks,

JP

6. jpp

up ttt

jp

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Gorrilla lifts as well. Works good for me. Yes, they are nice because they are square, and they fit right on top of your standard angle iron top rail so you can have racks for whatever right alongside the lift.

Watch the cables though! Inspect them where they sit bent at a 90 deg. angle when the gate is up. They WILL start to break there. I have replaced both of my cables with stainless steel cables, double clamped with eyelets at both ends. Also NEVER lube the cable or the rollers, it will cause the rollers to not spin and then the cable just saws through them... Been there, done that... Those rollers are expensive.

I PREFER the lift kits that have the springs enclosed though.

8. bluesprucelawncare

bluesprucelawncare LawnSite Member

i will measure them tomorrow but i have 16 foot and i have a 20 inch front nose built so the roads dont hit the zs so much but i have the weed wips and the blowers all curbs(pass) side so i go from front to back. its gotta be from the gate to the rear tire i will mesure it

9. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

save your money and make your own........I made mine for about $30 each......

10. jpp

How long did your cables last before you had to replace them? Yeah, I think for safety sake the enclosed springs are much better too. I just have a bad feeling on the elegator type.

Thanks,

JP