Elevator speech?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Elegant Outdoor Lighting, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Elegant Outdoor Lighting

Elegant Outdoor Lighting LawnSite Member

Was wondering what you guys tell people when someone asks casually what you do?

The holidays are here and lots of opportunities to network. I've been working on my 10-second "elevator speech"

Beautiful Outdoor Lighting
    giving safety and access
    to homeowners...
    Highlighting architectural features...
    warm glow in the garden...
    We create a Lighting Portrait

This takes me exactly 10 seconds. Anyone else willing to post theirs?

2. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Outdoor architectural and outdoor lighting. design and installation. (obviously I dont install anymore) Everything from small residential landscapes up to high end residential and commercial. Nothing but the best materials, longest life quality lamps that highlight true color in the plants and architecture. sometimes a little more or a little less

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  3. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I'm not sure why, but I enjoy saying: I cut grass, what do you do? I worked for a guy in my youth who was a merchandiser for Keebler. His degree was in like sociology or something, maybe even his masters, and he told me his wife brought him to a party full of doctors, and he had to go around telling people he sells cookies. I thought that was really awesome.

If this is important to you, why not keep some wallet-sized pics of your best work on you? Another thing I do is refer them to street addresses, and tell them to look at night when it's all lit-up.

I don't like the one-liners. Probably just me. I can't deliver them. Other than "I cut grass." I'd rather find out more about them, and the lighting design usually gets in there somehow. At that point, I'll mention the stuff Joey just said.

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I design and install high end landscape and architectual lighting systems or I am an outdoor lighting designer and hand them a card.

If they remotely care about what you do they will ask more. Make it clear and easy to rememeber what it is you do. If you give too much info in such a short period it will become gibberish and sound like an infomercial.

5. NightLightingFX

NightLightingFX LawnSite Senior Member

I pretty much agree with Billy. Except my cards are a billboard for my work. The front and back have pictures of my work. I give them my card and tell them to check out my website.
    ~Ned

card-f.JPG

card-b.JPG

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Wow that card looks very nice.

7. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

That's an awesome business card. Pic's and a professional logo go a long way.

8. JoeyD

9. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Great topic. Just read an article that relates to this about listening.

The article makes the point that when newly-met people ask you what you do, they really don't want to intiate a conversation where you give them a sales pitch - they don't trust you enough and fear that you will pressure or annoy them.

The author advises that you need to establish the relationship first - hard to do in an elevator, but if can somehow convey the impression that you are more interested in the other person than yourself, that you're willing to listen and empathize, then you might slip in a quick comment on what you do and hand over the business card.

In fact, getting the other person's business card is just as important as giving your own.

Here's the article: http://trustedadvisor.com/cgreen.ar...s-Not-What-You-Hear--but-the-Listening-Itself.

10. JoeyD