Eliminating blowout.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by casey, Nov 11, 2001.

1. casey

casey Guest

Run baseboard rubber around the entire front section of your deck (sides included), having it bend about 1/16" at ground level at your preferred height setting. Attach with self-tapping screws & duct tape. Works great.

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Casey, for grass this might be a good idea, but for leaves isn't it just going to plow the leaves infront of the mower?

3. Most of the blow out has been eliminated on my mid size walk behinds by adding door weather strip so that the all 1" of bristle brush hangs below the lip of the deck.

I started a thread and posted a photo of this within the last month.

4. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

I've done basically the same as Casey. But, to make the baseboard a little more flexible, I cut vertical slits in it about 6" apart. Attached it with 1/8 x 1" aluminum strips and self tapping screws. I placed the baseboard about 1/4" above the cutting height, which at this time of year I have set at 2 1/2 inches for all jobs. Normal leaf cover slides right under the deck; when real thick, I blow them around a bit with the backpack, or just keep running into the leaves till their finally all gobbled up.
    One Gator Magnum on each of left two spindles, double Gators on the discharge side spindle. I figure about a 5 to 1 reduction.

5. casey

casey Guest

Have found the baseboard rubber is flexible enough when dropped slightly below ground level to bend back & allow most leaves in. Since rubber is pushed inward in forward motion there is little plowing. If the leaf covering is thick we simply reverse once over the strip then go forward.
    Wayne, the vertical slits are a great idea. Try dropping it slightly below ground level.

6. LAWNMAN017

LAWNMAN017 LawnSite Member

try low lift blades i have 2 lazers with baggers on them and the low lift blades dont produce as much air works great

7. casey

casey Guest

This is used for double bladed leaf mulching. No low lifts or bags allowed.

8. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i use aluminum flashing on my 21" with dbl blades

9. casey

casey Guest

Tried aluminum but it got destroyed real quick.

10. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

it disposes quickly though!;)