1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Eliminating Hawthorn

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by By-The-Lake, Jul 28, 2010.

1. By-The-Lake

By-The-Lake LawnSite Member

Looking for some suggestions on how to eliminate the common type of hawthorn in Ontario (Crataegus ???) I have a hawthorn tree that I would like to get rid of growing between my house and my neighbors house which I cut down last year and this year it has grown even larger.

I also have a client that has an issue with these trees. She has invested quite a bit into creating pathways and garden beds but in one area of the yard has turned into a hawthorn nursery with a bunch of new seedlings that grow every year. She said she normally just weeds them and is getting frustrated doing this, but I would like to help her eliminate the trees which are causing the problem and suggest some better suited replacedments.
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

As soon as you cut off the tree, apply stump killer to the fresh cut, or even take a cordless drill and drill some shallow holes in the stump to keep the stump killer in place.

After that it would take a couple of seasons to get rid of any volunteers that might be sprouting up.

I use this method on half inch saplings up to big stumps.