1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Elimintating a velkies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K c m, Jun 28, 2005.

1. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

Center line? I knew it would be a problem but im kinda fired up at how bad the stripes look. (shooting myself in the foot) Is there anything i can do to eliminate the middle stripe? :angry:
  2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Walk, or proslide. :)
  3. amlawn

amlawn LawnSite Member

TWO (2) wheel sulky....... Don't feel bad. i bought the single wheel sulky and 2 weeks later bought the 2 wheel because of the middle line. $ mistake , but i have a backup of the single if i need it ! jim
  4. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone tried putting a roller or "stripe kit" hanging down off of the front edge of their Velke?

Seems like it would be a real easy thing to do, and it might mask the tire tracks a lot better.
  5. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I did the EXACT thing that you did. I bought it, and in the back of my head I knew it was going to ruin my stripes but I completely disregarded that and bought it anyways. I have't used it since! I really don't mind walking but my friend wants a velke and he has a 2 wheel velke so I think I'm going to trade him. I'm getting a deal and a half if I say so myself.
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have a single-wheeled Velke in my shop - used it for a couple of years on scrappy lawns, but walked on the good ones because of the stripe. I tried a ProSlide - no good for my 36" Exmark Viking hydro (mower too small). I bought a BullRider with two wheels - sulky wheels track in the same track as mower wheels. A BR is convertable, either trailer mode (pivot at the tow bar), or caster mode (fixed to the traction deck, sulky wheels free to swing). I intended to use caster mode, but learned the mower was too small, too light to handle. I've used BR in trailer mode for a couple of years and it works fine. True zero-radius turns are not possible, but the effectiveness of my machine is greatly enhanced. It pays for itself every week from jobs I'm doing that I would have to skip if I was walking.
  7. Hollis Maintenance

Hollis Maintenance LawnSite Member

where did you get the bullrider? Is that a specific brand?
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Power Equipment Warehouse was the source. The unit is made by TrimmerTrap. Go to their website for more info.

Check this page:

I think a newer model is available that is not convertable, it only runs in trailer mode. TrimmerTrap makes a trailer model, Bronco - see it a bit further down on the page. I believe the platform is a bit smaller on the Bronco than the BullRider.

My BullRider is very well built, and heavy! I think it weighs 50-60 pounds.
  9. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, there is. Lose weight.