Elongated Hole on Rear Bumper

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Mindless, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Mindless

Mindless LawnSite Member

After towing aerator behind FasTrak, rear bumper hole is now elongated. Any ideas on how to fix (short of buying new bumper)? Perhaps something to reinforce hole so that it does not elongate any further?

Thanks for your help.
    Terry

Craftsman Aerator.JPG

Aerator Tow Bar.JPG

Rear Bumper.JPG

2. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

I have the exact same problem and I've been doing some thinking about this... (very, very dangerous)

Idea 1: Is to install a "ball" on the tractor then rig a ball receiver to the aerator. If I did this though, I'd also have to do the same to the de-thatcher. I figure it would cost about 60.00 to 75.00 to do both. I also noticed (just like in your pic) that the rear of the tractor is a little higher than the aerator was engineered to be towed at, so in the design I'm thinking of adding a piece of metal to the top of the pulling arm of the aerator, and attacking the ball receiver to that, to level the aerator and de-thatcher. This would add a few dollars to the cost though.

Idea 2: Is to just buy a bigger pin to match the hole size on the back of the tractor and drill out the pulling arm of the two attachments.

I know there are some "pro's" around here that may have probably made this a simple proven science and look forward to getting some responses back on this.

Thanks for putting up this post! :drinkup:

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The ideas posted here are pretty much what I would suggest.
    That or weld up a hardened washer in place of the current hole.
    Pj

4. wushaw

wushaw LawnSite Member

You could also weld up a flat doubler in 3/16 or 1/4" with a hole drilled the size of whatever the largest pin you use.

5. Re-Ignition

Re-Ignition LawnSite Member

Could you slip a piece of hose over the pin? Some kind of tough material that won't be sheared by the bumper hole?