EMAIL address Capturing Anyone?

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by SprinklerGuy, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Does anyone here know how to "capture" the email address of someone who enters your website. I get many many hits per day on my site and would love to know who these people are. I don't want to make people register or anything like that. Any ideas??????????????

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Yep. Open up your wallet.

I have the option to get visitor info, but it's in the next tier of service that I'm not willing to pay for just yet.

In talking with a few other folks, the 'creepy' factor would be high if they were to anonymously visit us and get an e-mail the next day saying 'Hey, Joe. How'd you like our site?'

3. thanks stonehenge....i guess I should put a sign up on there so they can opt in..........

4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

It stinks, because I just hate to let people slip out of my hands, when I've been able to get them to visit the site. But I don't want to drive them away by making them think I'm doing something spammish or underhanded.

5. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

Sprinkler Guy

You idea of opting in will work, just keep the file so if anyone ever asks you have a copy of their opting in to a email list.

Also you might give them the option in your email you send to them to opt out, thus not spam.

Rick

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

the counters at http://www.bravenet.com give you users ip address,os,monitor res etc on the stats page its all free

7. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

There is no way to "capture" an e-mail address of someone visiting your website. Email address information is nowhere the browser info. You can get ip info, browser type, os, and a few other things, but NO email addresses, and there is no service or software you buy to capture the info either.

The other idea is good about an opt-in newsletter, or you could even set up a page so visitors could recieve (you would send it to them using the email address they provide) general info about the steps involved in installing a system, a variety of pricing plans, time-tables, breakdown of services (like steps you will perform in winterizing a system), what to look for in hiring a irrigation contractor, ETC. All kinds of things you could put down in order to maybe hit on something of interest to them. - Maybe a "Ask the Pro" type of page that would let them pose a question.

I have a "request a quote" page that has been pretty good at getting me contacts that have lead to some new accounts.