1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

email mailing lists

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by birdturd9726, Dec 8, 2007.

1. birdturd9726

birdturd9726 LawnSite Member

does anyone know of any good email mailing list. any companies, or any free sites with lists. thanks
  2. Oak Forest Lawns

Oak Forest Lawns LawnSite Member

You would be going against FCC laws if you email people who are on the federal do not email list. That could really suck if someone came after you.
  3. birdturd9726

how would i know who is on the list
    im email relator's and companies in my area.
  4. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

So you want to be a spammer? Nice.
  5. birdturd9726

no im thinking of another way to obtain customers

edited no name calling. thanks, jodi
  6. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

No, he's not being a wise ass with an attitude. Unsolicited email is called spam for a reason. PEOPLE DESPISE IT! I think you would get a very small return on this practice and many of those that get the message would never call you to do work just because of it.
  7. birdturd9726

thats what i was trying to figure out i was going to give it a try to see if it was any good. So you don't think sending email happy holidays cards out is going to be a good return.
  8. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

If your sending an email to a current or past customer your fine. If it is an unsolicited email to someone who has never done business with you, I personally wouldn't even consider it. I know that I don't look favorably on unsolicited emails. They also get deleted before I open them. As a side note, most email programs now have fairly sophisticated filtering aspects that ship messages from unknowns get deleted or put in a junk mail folder.
  9. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

There are very strict rules in place about email marketing. If you were to partner up with someone- say, a local nursery- who has a list of customers who have opted in with them, and have ALSO opted in to receive solicitations from third parties, you can send them emails. Your emails must make it very clear where they came from, and there must be a very clear "unsubscribe" link in the email itself- and if someone unsubscribes, you have to honor this. To the best of my knowledge there's no "national list" because it's even stricter than that- you can't send unsolicited email marketing to anyone. They get to tell you it's ok.
  10. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't pay much for this, even if it is legal. When I think about my customers most are too old to know how to Google for lawn care :laugh: