email scam?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Might check booth 748 at I.A. :rolleyes:

2. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I recieved that same email last spring. Fraud was the first thing that came to mind. But what is the reason behind it? They aren't asking you to send money to Nigeria. Are they trying to get email addresses to spam?

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

word on the street is that someone's selling some tail in that neighborhood :clapping:

4. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah, same number.

Reverse lookup site says it is an unpublished number and a landline.
    It's either in Avon or St. Cloud, Minnesota.

5. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

They want to special order some items... then what?...

Do they give you a stolen credit card number and you ship, they receive and then they resell the items locally or on eBay or something?

Sounds like a lot of effort to spend on something not very lucrative... not quite sure where the con is in this, but I guess sending out SPAM is cheap...

Or does he somehow get your credit card billing or bank routing numbers and do something with those?

6. Mike Leary

So he/she has not commited a crime? Otherwise, you'd think someone would have busted them since this has been going on for some time. I wonder how many other internet scams they're pulling off at the same time? Pretty crazy.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I woudl imagine they buy the product with a stolen credit card. then they have product to sell. you get payment with stolen CC and maybe you get to keep the money, maybe you don't...if they CC company keeps the money, then you are out the product... and FF goes on to someone else.

I would imagine the CC company would take the money back, being that they coudl show that its not a type of sale you normally make and maybe they think you are in on the fraud scam...

I get emails like that all the time at my Georgetown email addy and I don't sell anything...

spam is cheap, and honestly they would not do it if people were not biting....So there are plenty-o-dumbases out there...

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

shoot, they could be rustling goats or dogs, or both :confused:

100_0961.jpg

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe you can suggest Paypal, and open a fresh account, and take the bogus payment, and then close the Paypal account after you convert it to cash payup

10. Mike Leary

Good to see somedog has got plenty of work these days. :walking: