Emark Hydro hose weeping...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by HighGrass, May 5, 2005.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I brought my LazerHP in to have one of the hydraulic hoses looked at because the fitting on the left wheel was damp. Never saw an actual drop of oil, but since it was the only hose that was like this, I decided if it needed changing, better have it looked at before we get into the season.
    Anyway, I told the mech to replace it if it was out of limits. So they looked at it and decided to change with a new hose. (30 bucks for the hose BTW) Now guess what? The new hose leaks at both the wheel and the control pump outlet. It's not dripping mind you but it is damp and collecting dust.

When a hose is replaced, are they supposed to use any type of sealer or packing (Sort of like teflon tape) on the fittings to keep them from leaking?
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

No hydraulic hose should be installed without teflon tape or some type of sealer on the threds. The ONLY exception is if it has a compression type fitting, Those do not require sealer,Put a wrench on them and see if there tight.

14yr. Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technician
    Kohler Factory Trained
    Factory Trained Polaris ATV & Watercraft
  3. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

rob is that you from tri-county.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Yes Its Me ! Hope I'm not busted for moonlighting ?
  5. mike76

mike76 LawnSite Member

The exmark wheel motors have compression fittings plus a small "O" ring as a back up. Check to see if the "O"ring is there or mashed, if they are you need the exmark one because it is an odd size. Hope this helps.
  6. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

It sure does help. I would almost be willing to bet that when someone grabbed the new hose, they probably just put in some generic o-rings. I'll check with them tomorrow and see what thier response is.

I like to work on my own eqipment but with the fear of getting air into the system, I shy away from the hydro part of it.
  7. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

That's exactly what it was. The "O" rings they put in were the wrong size. New ones are on order and hopefully will have them replaced on Monday. I am thanful that the mechanic was honest about the whole thing. Anyway, looks like verbody learned something new!.

Thanks again,