embark t&o

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tornado, Mar 10, 2008.

1. tornado

tornado LawnSite Member

i have suggested to my stepson( in the chicago suburb areas) where he mows large hoas to try using embark around the areas he weedeats and edges. as well as using it around the banks of ponds. i have never used this product but had thought about it many years ago. this would save labor,fuel and wear and tear on equipment. sounds like a win win situation if it works properly. i know there are variables that effect its performance. also after trimming landscape ornamentals this could be used to eliminate followup of trimming new growth. what has been your experience and is it economical especially with the high fuel prices?

2. tornado

tornado LawnSite Member

doesnt anyone have experience using embark growth regulator?

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I have done Embark on both bermuda grass and hibiscus. Won't do it again. The bermuda looked like it got a low dose of glyphosate. The new growth attempting to flush out on the hibiscus was burned and distorted. No, I did not overdose or overapply in either case. I think Primo for the grass and Cutless for shrubs/hedges would do better. Plant material treated with those growth regulators do not look like they have herbicide injury. I look at the use of chemical tools for landscape maintenance from this point of view: I am normally losing money hand weeding or cutting shrubs and handling the trash generated. I do not know of any customers willing to pay what it actually costs and allow me to make a reasonable profit. Your time could be spent doing work that you can make money on.

4. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

look at regi-max at lesco/ jdl for grass

5. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

I like embark, I don't like the cost of using it. Good product uses here! I would buy it if the job entailed a good profit. Will knock bermuda down for 4 months. Used it on a clients lawn several years ago, he hated to mow so often, so, we sprayed about 3 acers surrounding his home. He called a month later complaining he wasn't getting his lawn to grow! So, we were out applying fertilizer, to encourage more grownth, This happened only from new rizomes and stolons production. We eventually obtain new growth in about 2 months.