Embarrassing day...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

I mow for a real small village, population of about 400.. Basically do two parks and a small cemetery.. Today the village mayor gives me a call and asks if I had time to mow a house that had been adandoned.. I said sure thing, she told me "I don't have the address, but its in the 200 block of Church St... I head over in that direction, see a house that hadn't been mowed in about 3 weeks and the landscaping was growing up in weeds.. Unload the mower and about 5 minutes later I notice a house at the other end of the block that hadn't been mowed in about 2 months.. I decide to finish mowing the house I was since it would only take me another 10 minutes, as I am doing this the homeowner comes out wanting to know why I was mowing her yard.. I simply tell her I must have had the wrong address, she said thanks, gave me $20 for my effort and went back to bed...

Anyway, as I am mowing the house that I was suppose to be mowing, the lady from house #1 appears again and looking a little peeved, asking if I thought her house looked abandoned since she knew the situation of the house I was at.. All I could do was apologize for this uncomfortable situation...
  2. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

If the lawn hadn't been mowed in two weeks, she obviously doesn't care about it. Shoulda told her it looked like an abandoned crack house lol;)
  3. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You win some & lose some, that's why they invented Budweiser:drinkup:
  4. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

I have a customer that's very picky (also very rich). She didn't like the looks of the neighbors yard so she paid us to go mow it last week. The neighbor came out and wanted to know what we were doing. (He thought we were from the city). When we told him, he was pleased and went back in to the AC. She bought 2 other neighbors houses just so she could leave the houses empty and the lawns clean. She's trying to buy this guy's house too. If I had that much money, I'd move to the country where I had no neighbors.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Whats the deal with 2 months overgrown? Since the village has a mowing ordinance, you would have been there sooner or later anyway right?
    Call a spade a spade, her house DID look like it was abandoned and you helped her out. Sounds like you were gonna do it for free but you ended up with a 20.00 bonus.
    My question is why are these people letting their lawns go to hell in the first place?
  6. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

The house I was supposed to mow, the people fell behind on their mortgage and taxes so they just packed up and left.. This is a very small, country town and this house sat back in the woods where it probably wasn't a great headache to any of the neighbors...
  7. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like you lucked out, by her giving you $20 to do it. Maybe you should have given her a card too, and proposed a weekly service, as she didn't seem to offended by paying for service?