Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rcreech, Dec 21, 2010.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I will be the first to admit that I love selling and love working...but I HATE paperwork!

I have done a poor job in the past on staying on people that owe me...but I have always gotten paid.

How do you guys handle your past due accts?

I get busy during the season and don't do a great job of tracking who is paying.

I have about 12 customers that are past due for over 120 days and about 30 that are between 60 and 90 days. It isn't for a large amount but it is plenty!

I have never had any issues with people paying at all.

I started calling them yesterday and got a pretty good response but we will see.

Do you all send out Statements and if so...how ofter?
    How do you handle later payers?

Now that I am getting bigger I want to keep this in check next season.

Any help on what you do to take care of late payers would be greatly appreciated.

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I always send out another invoice first. That says this statement is past due.

If i don't get a response i call them.

Calling them i seems to get the best response.

I have 2 that have not paid yet.

One of them i don't think i will ever get my money i have talked to her different times.

I keep track if they have not paid for the last treatment i don't do the next one.

Charles Cue
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

In 2009 I left an invoice on door, always. Also sent bill at end of month. (Unless it had been less than ten days since last treatment.) No additional service, if owed for 30 days or more. Called past due accounts when 30 days or more. Called a few each night.
  4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

change your parameters in SA to put them on credit hold after 60 days or whatever you choose. Thats one of the top 10 things I like about the software
  5. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

What software your running creech?
  6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yup, software can catch that AND some you can set individual limitations on. we too have a few though, but dont go too far before stop service letters go out
  7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm the same way Creech and I'll admit I have about $5800 out there right now. $1800 is over 30 days. I sent letters last week but this is the first I have sent this year. I doubt I get it all by the 31st but will get most by mid Jan. My software does a great job of tracking and even continually gives me warnings of their status but it doesn't dial phones or lick envelopes and stop by the the post office. I have to do that and I haven't done a very good job of it this year. Add the fact that the economy is bad and it makes for even more late payers than normal. I don't send letters or call until 30days or longer past due. On the other hand, I don't do lawn care for free. If people owe me for one app and it's time for the next, I'll do the second, leave a double balance invoice(depending on customer history) and go on. They will not get the next until I receive payment...period. Most are good about getting caught up but there are deadbeats. Deadbeats get called and letters and if they don't pay they get dropped from the customer list plain and simple. I've got about 4 who will be getting a prepay letter this spring from me but if they don't "catch up", that's all they'll be getting from me in 2011. Few deadbeats have the "balls" to call me asking why I haven't come by to do their lawn after avoiding me for that long. And, if they've avoided me for that long, I figure they're better off being someone elses pain in the azz. I charge enough over my costs that it's not worth it for me to pursue it legally. That would just be more pain in the azz from that particular customer. At a certain point, I "cut" my losses and move on.
  8. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

Showing up with a very large individual dressed in black named Guido would do the job.:laugh:

We all go through this at some point. I'm like Ted in the fact that I have some "Chronic" late payer's, but they pay. I will do their next service if they have not paid for their previous app when it's time for that service.

I don't have a long term problem with the late payers...some you work with, the rest you drop. At this time I only have 4 past 30 days and total less than $300.00. I will send out a second statement, and after 15 days from the last statement, I will call.

All of my customers know me, because I am solo. That makes it easier for people to pay because they feel that I am in touch with them and not sitting behind a large corporate desk IMO.

I enjoy what I am doing to much to not do it this way.

As mentioned, in this economy it has to be somewhat expected. Just depends on threshold of tolerance.
  9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Thanks guys!

Sounds like we are in the same boat Ted! We usually are in talking :).

I do run Real Green and I have it does put people on credit hold but we don't pay attention to it.

Reason being we want to run our route and not have to go back. Most of these people are great payers and I don't want to SKIP them during our day.

Next year I think we will be able to keep a better eye on things as I have a new guy coming on...but I suck at this bad!~

I guess I will finish out the season with calling and next year implement your stategies.

Then re-invoice (say at 30 days)
    Then send a statement (say in 15 days)
    Follow up with phone call

Does that sound right to most of you?
  10. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

Paper work has always been my draw back. Glad I am not alone in this.