Emerald Ash Borer root drench

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lazyike, Jul 10, 2007.

1. lazyike

lazyike LawnSite Senior Member

I have a friend that had a tree cutting service and he tells me that I need to get into treating ash trees ( Very popular in Minnesota) for the ash bug, (it is on our doorstep).

I do have a chemical license and am looking to expand my service into ash trees. I want to do root drench as we are not under fire yet and it is less harmful to the trees.
    1. What chemical seems to be effective ?

2. What is the going rate for this service?

I am trying to get some numbers together so I can figure out if it will be profitable for me.

Thank you,
    Mike

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The chemical used is imidicloprid, same as Merit. Only you use about 10 times as much as for treating grubs. You need to get educated. You need your license for trees and ornamentals. Take a look at a few of the many sites dealing with this insect. Treatment is not recommended until the insect arrives within one mile of customer location.
    http://www.emeraldashborer.info/

3. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Merit 75WSP or any of the many off-Patent clones at 1.6 oz per 36"DBH

If broadcasting granular to mulch the rate is the same as White Grubs in turf. Roots in turf should be soil injected.

Most of ther abrborists around here charge 2X their regular deep-root fertilizer pricing but you should do an accurate cost analysis before bidding big jobs.

Now that the price is no longer fixed by Bayer you can shop for the most competitve cost per inch. For this example, at the medium rate use $.79/inch (based on the old agency price of a mini-drum).

If you shop around you'll find off-patent Imidacloprid for as little as $.65 +/- per inch.

4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

you need to treat the tree 1 year prior to infestation in order to gain control. also add fert to the mix, it helps uptake of the insecicide.

5. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

treat for next year with injection of merit, not that we have not already said that. So if it looks like it come within the year, get on it.

6. lazyike

lazyike LawnSite Senior Member

I want to be proactive not retroactive with this problem, I know that if I wait to do anything until it gets a mile away it will be to late.
    Arbor tec systems has a root inject system that I am looking into getting. I am also under the impression that in year 1 you do not know that the tree is infected, and by year 3 call a tree removal service, The insecticide I am talking about is a preventative. I think that it also takes a year for this type of delivery system to be effective.....

Am I right with this thinking? In Minnesota we have turf and ornamental license requirement which I have for my yards.

Thanks again for your input guys I really appreciate all feedback,
    Mike

7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I use imidicloprid. It has a proven track record here. I don't drench, though. I deep root feed with a fertilizer needle. I also add a bit of fert.

8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

there is an alternative, i have been waiting for the lable change. it is a basil drench with merit and pentabark (surfactant). the research i have seen/heard is VERY promising. hope it gets labled.

9. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Kioritz if anybody wants to buy it. $200

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Nice posts guys! I hear it almost everyday..."How 'bout that insect that's gunna kill my ash trees?" I tell 'em that it's hundreds of miles away so far, so you never know how soon we will see these borers here (central Iowa). I also tell them we are always seeing new products come onto the market every year. So far so good here. I know Merit is a damn good product, so at least we have it in our arsenal just in case.