Emerald Bermuda

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jca57jd, Aug 8, 2012.

1. jca57jd

jca57jd LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I have a customer looking for emerald bermuda. I cant find any info and I was wondering if any of yall have experience?

Thanks,
    John

2. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL

3. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

There's no such thing as emerald bermuda, i'll bet he mean's zoysia.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Must be emerald zoysia. High maintenance.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Grasssales2001

Grasssales2001 LawnSite Member

What do you consider high maintenance? Bermuda maintained below 1" is high maintenance. I've actually heard some good things from sod growers about emerald.

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Fungus, thatch and requires low cutting...probably more so than Bermuda.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

He's right. Plan on cutting it weekly.

8. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

The best thing about emerald zoysia is that it is soft enough to sit on. You can't say that about any other zoysia grass. The second best thing is how much slower growing it is than bermuda. You cut emerald at 1 1/2' and it look's darn good. It can be a little bit more finicky but if you have plenty of sunlight that's no problem. It take's less water, less fertilizer and has a better winter color than bermudagrass. I would take zoysia over bermuda any day.

9. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

What?
    I cut all my lawns weekly..........no other way!

Yes, it is a high maintenance grass. Yes, disease favorable and yes, thatch prone. All Zoysia grasses is thatch prone and can be disease prone because of it density growing habits.

10. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Emerald zoysia is one of the most durable grasses in my area. Not enough rain to cause many disease problems. But the potential for thatching is there. It is made worse by high mowing or attempting to mow with the right mower that is not set up the right way. If you are mowing Emerald, you want a 7, not a 10 blade reel. You also want a lot of relief ground into the back of each reel blade and the reel needs to be set to contact the bedknife. That method of setting up a reel by grinding the reel flat and adjusting for zero contact only works on bent grass mowed daily. It is not for maintaining zoysia.