1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Emerald Gaity Euonymus leaf color

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GreenMonster, Nov 1, 2004.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

A few of these Emerald Gaity shrubs around here -- you know the ones, with green and white sorta varigated foliage -- have new growth this year that is just solid green. No white in the new foliage.

Can anyone explain this? Is it related to pruning technique?
  2. turner_landscaping

turner_landscaping LawnSite Member

the shrub is reverting back to the parent plant. Before the varigation was introduced the plant was all green foliage not varigated. To control this you need to prune out all the solid green foliage. If you do not do this you will see the plant revert to all green foliage.
  3. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

As I understand it is a virus that is introduce to the plant to make varigations. If the plants are pruned to heavy, under hard stress and a few other things then it will loose the virus sort of speak and revert back to one color. I have heard to heavy of a pruning is a big problem as you are removing the virus.
    Somebody correct me if I am wrong.