Emerald Green Arbs against fence?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by knuckles, May 7, 2005.

1. knuckles

knuckles LawnSite Member

How close to a fence can I safely plant Emerald Green Arbs. I have plenty of space in between plants to work with, but due to the width of the site, I'm concerned about the plants being almost out in the middle of the yard. Any info or other plant suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm located in southern NJ.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I woulden't plant them any closer than 3' to 4'from the fenceline

3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the biggest use for these is as a narrow evergreen hedge. They are often planted plant to plant for an instant hedge. Thet will lose foliage against a fence and where they touch each other, but what you see is green. Only the outside of the plant remains green when they stand alone.

The only reason to put them far apart or far away is so that they can grow evenly all around. Ahedge with spaces between each plant is not a hedge.

4. knuckles

knuckles LawnSite Member

Agla, other than the brown foliage against the fence, will the overall health of the plant be o.k. ?

5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

... it will take a while for the plant to thin out on the fence side due to lack of light. As long as there is enough of the plant getting enough light to sustain itself it will do fine. It is a mechanism within the plant that shuts down non-producing parts so that they do not consume more energy than they produce.

Surely you have all seen hedges of Emerald Green Arborvitaes that are against fences and are touching each other? I do it routinely.

6. knuckles

knuckles LawnSite Member

Thanks for your help, AGLA & sheshovel

7. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

AGLA is right. I do Arb tree fences/hedges all the time. They can pretty much go anywhere as long as there is sunlight and the lime content in the soil isnt too high. I love when someone puts up a fence, then calls me to put an arb hedge in front of it. Plantings arbs is great fast money and I can fit almost 50 of them in my truck.

Chuck

8. knuckles

knuckles LawnSite Member

Thanks Chuck, I planted ten 6 footers Sunday afternoon, customer has homeowner assoc. that doesnt allow privacy fencing. Customers neighbors yard is horrible, once she saw the instant screen she hired me to for a bunch of other work ! $$$

Stan