Emergency Advice !!!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Love Thy Neighbor, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Love Thy Neighbor

Love Thy Neighbor LawnSite Member

Hey All

I have never applied fertilizer to any account.
    I have two potentialaccounts that I want to bid on for mowing but they asked for fertilization also. Do I go out and by regular fertilizer from menards or home depot and a large broadcast spreader?

How do I charge? I charge $1.50 per 1000 sq ft to mow.
    I know fertilizing may be alot different.

The two accounts measurements are.

1. 29,292 sq ft

2. 47,091 sq ft.

What would you charge?

I want to answer the prospects by Tuesday.

There is a third possible. I won't do the mowing but he wants a quote for fertilizer and broad leaf control. Im reluctant on even attempting a quote because I am a rookie.
    This one is about 3.5 - 4 acres. Looks like a money maker but i'm not so sure.

Please help.

P.S I'm not looking to get into spraying or pesticide apps.

2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Just from what you described. You haven't done any applicatoins before and you aren't really looking to get into fertilization. You could look into Sub-contracting this out to someone who does it on a regualr basis, is liscenced for pesticides, and who Knows what they are doing. That way you could the offer service even though you aren't set up to do it.
    If you do want to get into applications, then study and reasearch and read everything you can on turf and fertilization and pest control. Then get your pest licence and insurance and go for it.
    Most of the time weed and grub control is expected as part of a fertilizer package. So even if you don't want to do it the customer will want you to.

You probably could just put down fert from Menard's (no weed control without a licencse) and get by. But you could do more harm than good if you aren't familiare with it.

Good Luck
  3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Sub it out!

They'll price it for you, you mark it up, everybody makes money and the client is satisfied.

Don't bid on work you're incompetent to handle.
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are interested in having someone else do the work, send me an e-mail. I won't be a sub, but I can send them a quote. That's how I do it for a couple other mowing guys. I deal direct with the customer. Gentleman's agreement not to solicit any other work from your client also. I am more than happy to just have the fert/weed control part of their maintenance. If it was something I'd be interested in, I could prepare a quote for you. I've done work for another guy here on the website that is in my area and he doesn't do applications, more mowing and the other work in this business. I also have a guy my fert supplier referred to me and I take care of six of his customers. He also just mows.

You have to be state certified to apply any herbicide in Wisconsin. Whether on lawns or in beds. That means, if you even spray roundup on a weed in a landscape bed, you had better have a license.
    Even just fertilizing will take a little practice with application amounts, overlapping, and just generally applying it. I see a lot of striped yards around town when I'm out and about. I gotta laugh, every joe blow thinks they can put product down. The homeowner who thinks they know it all.

Let me know if I can help you out.

5. CCLS

CCLS LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I would forget about doing the fertilization, because it sounds like you do not have enough experience. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but what if they ask you a question pertaining to the application you are putting down? Are you confident enough that you can answer their questions and give them correct answers? If you are not able to answer questions pertaining to the application, then they might quesiton your ability to perform other services. Just my thought.