1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Emergency-Craftsman Riding Mower won't move

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Giant Menehune, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Giant Menehune

Giant Menehune LawnSite Member

Hi Out There,
    I need some help from anyone who knows about riding mowers. I have a Craftsman 15.5 HP Hydrostatic Riding mower. I took the deck off to sharpen blades and tighten the belt. I put it back on and the deck ran great, so the next step was to try it out in the yard. But when I try to engage the forward/reverse lever the tractor won't move, not at all! The drive belt is in great shape and it's on all it's pulleys, there's nothing wrong that I can see.
    I find this extremely frustrating because I drove it into the shop and it was working great. I didn't touch anything back there and for the life of me I can't get it to move.......I've had to postpone 2 jobs today and if I can't figure it out I'm sure to lose some yards.
    Someone Please Help?!!!

2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Not to be mean or anything, but why are you running a POS crapsman tractor instead of at least a JD rider, ro maybe a used ztr?

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Is it making any odd noises ? The only things that come to mind is making sure the hydro. bypass rod is fully engauged and If you applied the parking brake before you raised the front end the brake caliper my have stuck. Reach up under and grab the brake lever on the side of the hydro. and try to pull it towards the back of the unit.

4. Restrorob

You may jack the back up and see if either wheel free spins, One of the axle keys may have give out, Not likely but possible.

5. Giant Menehune

Because it's the only one I got man. I'll be buying a damn Husqvarna or something as soon as I can, but for now, it's the crapsman. What's the best most dependable riding mower you know of? I don't know about brands, so educate me, I'd be very willing to know.

6. Giant Menehune

The hyro rod was jammed up...wouldn't enguage. I got it under control after you suggested looking at that. Thanks again, I'm a newbie, you helped alot...

7. Lost Pine

Lost Pine LawnSite Member

Your first mistake.....IT'S A CRAFTSMAN !!!!

8. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

Ya know the ones that bash Craftsman or anyother brand on lawn equipment a LCO. Decides to run .

Sound's worse than 25 kids fighting over what color their popcicle is . Give it a rest Bashing others equipment means your lacking something im not sure what but i can tell you right now .

GROW UP . Your throwing this macho attitude about what people run . its not your equipment , Its not your account's that get mowed, Its not non of your damn buisness now is it ,

Dont let them get to you their just mad as hell because they paid way to much for a lesser tractor . Than folk's like me you and others have and guess what they all mow grass , I used to love deere equipment but all this bashing attitudes and JD this JD that. I wish they had them over priced plastic busting hoods shoved up you know where.

9. Restrorob

That was my thoughts also, But I didn't want add to the nonsence.

10. Giant Menehune

My customers don't care what brand of mower I use as long as their yards look great when I'm done. So far this Craftsman has done everything I've asked of it, so I'm thinking maybe I'll stick with it. I do believe that the other brands I've looked at may be better,(don't know, never tried 'em), but I also believe they are grossly overpriced. I'm not rich, and I'm forced to be realistic. The Craftsman is going just fine and so are my customers' yards, they're happy with my work, so I'm happy with my machine.....
    Thanks Restro for the help, and thanks K&CLawncare for sticking up for me and my old Crapsman...lol :)