Emergency Room Visit (Please Read)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Synergy Ground, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Synergy Ground

Synergy Ground LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

Saturday morning I had sharpened the blades on my Super Z. Installed blades and decided to scrape exess grass from under deck. Hand slipped and hit blade at 45 degree angle. Severed main artary in hand and cut pointer finger tenden in half. We live 20 minutes from town, had to drive to hospital with lots of pressure on cut, lost massive amounts on the way, blood pressure was 62 over 40.
    Guys please pay attention and think about what you;re doing before you do it. I have grown up on the same farm my entire life with tons of John Deere tractors, balers, combines,cattle & horses etc.. This was the simplest thing I have done in years, with the worst result. I didnt think, was home alone, had on no gloves, and should have cleaned out deck before I installed blades.

BE SAFE & THINK BEFORE YOU ACT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. tuffguy23

tuffguy23 LawnSite Member

So sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you will be ok and recover fully. I certainly feel the same way about thinking about something before you do it, and taking every needed precaution. As you said it can be the simplest act that results in something terrible. ( I'm thinking about seatbelts ).
    Again..hope you heal quickly!
    TG

3. hess

hess LawnSite Member

Dam!! Hard lesson to learn! Hope you feel better soon:)

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

had the same thing happen while installing a front proch light once...

had to bend this tab over screwdriver slipped. cut tenden in half.

on the sharp sheet metal....

it will take you a while to get back to normal, then when cold sets in your finger wont wanna close all the way...

Best of luck and thz for the post

5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have done the exact same thing, happened 11 years ago. I was 23, it was my second year in business, and I was just being stupid. Also had no money or health insurance at the time. That was an expensive lesson. I've always trained my men to wear gloves when they are doing that, I have the scar to show them why they should.

6. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

good post. Only takes one mistake to change a life.

7. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Hey man

Hope you heal up quick. Your story freaked me out b/c I just scraped my deck the other day after I just put on a sharp pair of blades. Next time and all other times I will be sure to remove blades, scrape, then put new ones on. Again, I hope you feel better.

8. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Always wear a leather glove.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Just never scrape the deck after installing sharp blades. I had a near miss on this years ago, and will never do it. It is just too easy to get hurt bad. The leather glove is a great idea to even HANDLE the blades, though...that is for sure.

10. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your accident. How sharp of an edge are you putting on your blades? It sounds like you're grinding them to a razor edge, which is way too sharp. If this is the case, your blades will dull quickly. A "sharp" blade will have almost a 1/16" thick edge, which is sharp enough to cut grass, yet dull enough to be safe to work around. Hope you heal up fast and 100%.