emergency service?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bobbygedd, Oct 8, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

we have been getting heavy rain, and wind all last night and all day. around noon today, a customer called and said a limb cracked, and was hanging on "by a thread", she needs it taken down asap, cus it may break and damage the house. how do you charge for emergency service? do you railroad them? do you just do it for free, and bring a small gift? what's the charge?

2. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

Time and a half or double time.

3. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

FREE with small gift...LOL
    You're really starting to get the hang of it now Bobby.

All kidding aside, an emergency call should at least be worth double time rates.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would probably not awnser the phone. But if I did, it would be at least three times the normal rate. What do plumbers charge for emergency service?

5. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Why tell your customer there is a emergency fee, they need your help , give it to them and add the difference on the bill. Things will go smoother this way!

6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I had an emergency call a few years back. Some obsessive lady had some some corn stalks blow into her yard from the neighboring field. She wanted them clen-up up before some social get-together she was having later that day. Billed her for about 2X the normal rate.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

they charge alot. i called a plumber on a sunday, it was a friend. he said this call would usually run $300 (30 minutes worth of work), but, since i'm his friend, $150 will do

8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a plumber that advertises on the radio all the time that his trip charge is the same no matter what day it is. Bobby you throwing out those wild inflated dollar amounts again and I was just starting to believe your posts.

You need to get out of the high price east coast and move to the Midwest. We have neighborhoods that pay on time.

Ahhhh Midwest living is the best. :laugh: :laugh:

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

There is a lawnguy who does that in every neighborhood. Bobby rightfully calls them lawnboys. You think its great to get called on your off day and just jump for them? Thats great, good luck having a life or some respect that way.

10. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

It's a business proposition. Bill what it is worth to you, tell them take it or leave it. If you are watching a good tv show, its gonna cost them another 30 bucks or so.