Emergency!!! Winter Rye Grass Question

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by The Ripper, Aug 28, 2006.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper LawnSite Member

We don't normally use winter rye in Central Florida, but I am required to do it fo a bid and I have no idea how to do it or what it costs to do it. The soil here is sand, so do I need to some how plant it in the soil or can I just use a spreader? How much does a bag cost and what kind of coverage do I get for one bag? All help is much appreciated.

2. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Austin we use alot of winter rye to overseed our Bermuda lawns to keep year around color (and maint. contracts). Genrally we use 5 lbs per 1,000 sq ft (10,000 sq ft per bag). My Lesco here has quoted the seed at around .91 cents a lb.

3. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, you do need to make contact with the soil for the seed to germinate.
    As long as you are not concerned with freezing you can verticut or aerate after scalping the bermuda down around late Sept. early Oct.

4. The Ripper

The Ripper LawnSite Member

Thank you I appreciate the help.

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

5-lb per 1000 is kind of thin IMHO maybe OK for annual rye. We use perennial rye, much nicer and O/S at 10-12 per 1000. Which I believe is fairway rate for a golf course.

We charge .10 per square foot for under 8,00 sq ft and .09 for over that. This price includes scalp and overseed dumping and spot filling if something didn't come up.

You must have seed to soil contact. Keep it damp for a week then increase the water duration time and decrease the frequency.