Emerging Markets

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by NORTHMAN, Jan 26, 2008.

1. NORTHMAN

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm curious what you all think might be the new emerging markets for lawn care,SC,NC,Las Vegas,etc?

2. Lawnboy70460

Lawnboy70460 LawnSite Member

I think with the economy in the shape it's in that would be hard to say. I know here in LA there is alot of new construction going on but there is alot of money still coming in from post-Katrina. I have noticed that houses are sitting on the market for a lot longer here. But in general I guess its ok here. In the area that I live in there has been a huge increase in population since the storm.

3. NORTHMAN

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I should of mentioned my area,NW NJ,not an emerging market,LCO are all over the place,lots of condos with few private homes being built, very little commercial.

4. Lawnboy70460

Lawnboy70460 LawnSite Member

I was riding around yesterday and I am truly amazed at the commercial property being developed. But there are alot of LCO's here too.

5. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

We are experiencing overall growth here on the coast of NC. We have slowed the last 18 months, but there are still alot of condo projects going up on the beach and commercial construction (walgreens, walmart, lowes, etc). However, I see a new LCO rig about every week. Mine was new 2.5 years ago. I think we may be alittle satuated with those wanting to cut, trim, edge, blow and go. I think alot are hanging up towel also, finding out its not as easy as it seemed from the outside. There is still alot of work to be had here

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

LOL, you were one of those not long ago.

the appeal for them is the same as it was for you.

I have been in this business for 18 years and fugured out that the reason there are so many more companies is there is so much more demand.

Alos remember that here we are in a unique position of not needing to compete so much on price. Here, reliability will get you further than anything else.

as with you when you started, all startup LCO's do not charge enough because they do not realize what their cost of doing business actually is.

don't sweat the new guys, just stay focused, and it will fall into place....just staw away from my turf.....LOL.....:laugh: