Emissions junk on diesel engines

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by westcoh, Feb 21, 2010.

1. westcoh

westcoh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alberta

A while back I pulled the turbo inlet off my duramax to replace it with an aftermarket one, and was somewhat shocked at the amount of sludge built up in it. This was at about 100k miles on the truck, and is courtesy of the egr/pcv, and is feeding right into the turbo. . .I think my truck might be losing this emisions junk in the near future.

mls-061.jpg

mls-062.jpg

2. Heavyduty1

Heavyduty1 LawnSite Member

New trucks are now 50k, get 10 mpg, $3 gal for fuel, and now this emissions junk. What's next? :dizzy:

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

My EGR system is getting the axe in late Spring, it's just a big joke this "environmental protection" BS we have to have.

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The emissions junk IS the reason they cost 50K and why they get 10 mpg. It is also part of the reason diesel costs what it does. Its as refined now as gasoline.

What till you see the prices on the newest diesels set to release this year. We will all crap our pants. I am trying to make mine last as long as possible.

5. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

It's too bad that the eco-people don't put any weight on reliability or fuel mileage instead of everything on emissions. I would like to see a diesel(any brand) with some common sense mods go head to head with a stock diesel and then compare power, emissions, price, longevity and fuel mileage.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Sad to say is is just going to get worse. The engines get poor fuel economy they cost more to build and more to operate but they " polute less " which is a crock of chit the engines are burning more fuel. More polution building the extra parts for these engines.

Class 8 trucks are in the same boat not as bad as the light duty trucks but still have emmissions crap.

7. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

The Diesel option on the '11 Ford is supposed to be the same price as the diesel option on the '10 Fords, $6500.

8. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

^this has been confirmed.

9. Skidsteerman

Skidsteerman LawnSite Senior Member

Tier 4 + is going to be very complicated and expensive. They showed us a after burner catalyst they have to install on some of the larger HP diesel engines. Not only is it huge and a very expensive part that will need to be replaced once it burns it self out $$$

Thank you Kalifornia for setting the ******** standards.:rolleyes:

In the next few years, on certain job sites, if your equipment does not meet the current EPA standards at that time, your equipment will not be allowed on the job site.

Poor fuel mileage or economy is due to burning the exhaust hotter to burn off the exhaust particulates. This takes more fuel to achieve this, and no, Al Gore is not telling anyone this either.

Welcome to the future.

In the new D series sslders and CTL's are all EFI fuel systems. No backyard mechanic will be able to work on these anymore other then daily servicing.

10. ioilyouin

ioilyouin LawnSite Senior Member

Another one of your selling points???