Emotional attachments’ to machines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bennett scape, May 4, 2008.

1. Bennett scape

Bennett scape LawnSite Member

hi all just wandering how many people get emotional attached to machines and tools. You guys might remember i started a thread about how much i love the BR 420 together me and it have had some good times and bad. From the blistering heat of summer to the wet stench of leaves several feet thick in fall she never let me down, well sometimes she did but that's another chapter. i also am attached to my Felco #2 me and it have done a lot together from 50 feet in a tree pruning thick branches to a blissful rose garden pruning in the spring. there are others but i don't want to bore you so i will stop here. Let me know if you have ever experienced this.

PS don't even ask i have never had a girl friend and refuse too and no i am not gay just a loser with a small *****. :)

2. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

Wow that is weird I am in love with my scag and my parents 2003 toyota tundra I don't know it is just an obsession.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I do have a little Tim the "Tool Man" Taylor complex. Doctor says I'll be fine.

homeimprovement2dvd.jpg

4. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

We had a great dane super surfer we named Mustang Sally. Seemed to fit real well, it was in the shop more than it was out working, just like a Ford. Had a 36 Scag years ago I named Mulder, as in Fox Mulder, because I figured out alot of the mysteries of the universe with all the time I spent on it. Of course there was Lucille my early 90's Green Machine named after B.B. Kings trusty guitar. So yeah we name them, but not until they show their worth and grow on us.

5. billym

billym LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I think I love my 2006 exmark hp 46" 19 Kawasaki....

6. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

I love my stuff and I am ridiculously over protective of it. As some of you may know I B*****D out my dealer because the power washed some of the decals off when it was in for routine maintenance. I know I am a little crazy:dizzy:.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ah the first time I bought a niiice mower I cried (and it was used LOL).
    And I used to lick their tires, don't ask.
    Had names for each one of them, too.

But this gets better in time, now they're just machines.

Other funny stuff:
    The newer proline Wb's have a BIG gas cap opening.
    Big enough to where if I just had something break down and my hands are super black with grease and grime...
    I've popped off the fuel cap and put a hand inside the gas can on the Wb to get it all up with fuel then rub my hands together then dip my hands in there one more time and voila clean hands LOL

Did you know:
    A truck can 'refuel' an empty Wb via a gas tank syphon? :)
    Yup, always have a gas syphon.
    And for some reason this always seems to work better with old trucks.
    So then you need a locking gas cap.

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We have had our lazer hp since new in 98 or 99. The thing has worked and worked and worked and always cut good. We will have that machine for many years. We are going to rebuild it like new in a few years.

A friend of ours started working years ago with his father. His father bought a new Encore ZTR years ago and used the heck out of it and loved it. 3 years ago he passed away on the job. His son said he will never sell that mower and he still uses it on occasion today. That was his dads favorite mower ever.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

They're just tools to me. The first time something newer or better comes along, and it's a good deal, the old ones are out of here.

I had seriously "blinged up" my first Dixie Chopper. I polished out all of the stainless, added stainless to it, had a custom front bumper made for it, all of that kind of stuff. It freaked everybody out when I "cast it aside" in favor of a great deal on an almost brand new Dixie.

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence (especially if you have the newer better ZTR version). I believe you have a little Tim the "Tool Man" Taylor down deep. You did polish the first one. I'm waiting also for the next ZTR that impresses me. Not there yet though plus I just don't need one yet.