Emp. Hrly Wage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-N-Garden Guy, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

I am trying to get an idea on what gross average employee hourly pay is,I currently pay my experienced help $10.00 per hr.

2. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

i generally start my employees out at seven dollars an hour, depending on their experience. top pay for lawn care, $10.00 per hour- 14.00 top pay for landscapers.

3. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I just hired my first employee last week. He's giving his current employer two weeks notice right now.

I guaranteed him a minimum of 35 to 40 hours per week. The pay is $8.50 per hour and I buy lunch every work day. I'll be witholding SS & income tax. But I'll also be paying time and a half for work over 40. I'm expecting I'll have to lay him off upon first freeze, at which time, I'll encourage him to file for unemployment benefits (if he's a good hand and I want him back in the spring). Otherwise, I guess I'll just hope he doesn't realize it's available. Can't imagine I'll keep him all season if he's not someone I'd want back, though.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I pay $10 also. I start at $9.

5. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Experienced Foreman $20 laborers $10-$12

Cost of living is higher here on Cape Cod.

6. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

ksland....just curious, i am not located in the cape, but what would you say your billing rate per man hour is?

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Start at $12 an hour for 2 weeks or so until they are up to speed. After that, they go to $15 an hour. My crew chiefs make $20 an hour btw.

8. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

mowing crews:

crewmen 8-10 d.o.e

foremen 11-15 d.o.e.

dfw...we just did away with lunch at fast food restaurants. everyone will have to bring their own lunch this year, or go hungry. we expect to save about 1400$ in wasted payroll this year on that alone.

rodfather...are you hiring? lol

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

In fact I am. But I think the commute from MD to NJ each day would be a bit much for ya charlies...lol

10. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Well, scratch that out. I just called my new "employee" to see if he could work today hanging door hangers. His initials are JL. A woman answers the phone and I ask for Julian. She says "This is JL Lawn Service, can I help you?"

I called her back a few minutes later and explained that I had just hired Julian this week, he was giving his two week notice to his current employer and that since I've learned that he's a competitor, the deal is off.

Now I gotta go find a new employee. What's the best way to advertise for this? Newspaper? Labor Camps? Any advice?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper