empire renovation

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Nov 12, 2013.

1. well i did the empire lawn today. aerated first, then verticut, then sanded. used my counter rotating blade on the edges. i did go a little heavy on the verticutting but it needed it. told the owners to have me aerate and topdress again this spring.

here are the pics...

before
    [​IMG]
    after first pass with verticutter
    [​IMG]
    after second pass
    [​IMG]
    after topdressing
    [​IMG]
    all the thatch
    [​IMG]
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Looks good. New account not on the reel mowing program. From now on, HOC is 1" or less. Zoysia is a thatch machine when starved and left high.

3. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Would it be possible to grow the clippings in another yard?

4. greendoctor

If you take the freshly uprooted material and shoot a hydromulch cap on top of it then keep the area damp, it will grow. That is a common method for establishing hybrid bermuda, seashore paspalum, or zoysia lawns. Sod is just too expensive for most people once the area involved is over a few thousand sq ft. Sod growers will run a verticut over their older fields to harvest the material for sale.

5. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

That is a Bluebird power rake, right? I have the slice seeder version of this and have verti-cut a little with it. How far apart are the blades on your machine? Aren't there different blade versions, which one do you use?

6. id have to check the specs but i believe 1.5". i have the delta blade which is the true verticutting blade. it comes from factory with the flail blade setup. I've looked at other heavy duty verticut ters and they all have the delta blade.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. here's an update...not bad
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. greendoctor

I take it this lawn will not see a rotary mower again. Looking good.

9. unfortunately i will not be maintaining this one doc. my friend takes care of it and he had me do the renovation but he does the maintaining and it will be cut with a 21" rotary....
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. greendoctor

Who paid for the renovation? If it is the customer, good thing that customer is not educated. Otherwise, said customer would pay for the renovation once and expect the lawn to be mowed correctly from here on out.