Empire Zoysia 1.5" with Tru-cut

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, May 22, 2012.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Post some pictures of your maintained lawns greendoc...we want to see them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

$80? is that for a spin grind only? I know of one shop here that does a spin, relief and fine backlap for $125. He does take up to a week or so to get it done. There are many other shops that cost about the same, but it is a spin grind only. Mower is in and out in about 1 day.

3. cgaengineer

3 day turnaround. Relief grind. Ask diamond, he couldn't believe it either...I sent pictures.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. greendoctor

What mower do you have? I know the Tru-Cut mowers use either a 3/4 or 11/16 socket to turn the reel. McLane needs a 1/2" hollow shaft adapter. I actually made a hollow shaft adapter out of pipe fittings and some bolts. Power to turn the reels is provided by a 1/2" reversible drill.

5. cgaengineer

I have a 30" Legacy which is just like a Trimmer brand.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Hahaha, UNLESS it's floratam. Thanks Chris.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. There are a few areas here(super wealthy) that you will find sports turf highly maintained and practically flawless looking. The problem is that empire is being marketed as the "homeowner zoysia" that you can use a rotary on. While I think empire looks pretty good cut with a sharp rotary, it's not he same as a reel. Also, you get people maintaining it at 4". People just don't understand how much it costs to properlly maintain an entire landscape. I saw this company install around 10-15K of celebration Bermuda that they run their huge hustler ztr on and weedeat a lot of areas because a lot of the turf is on hills. The result is a lot of scalping. The customer doesn't know any better and the company can keep the maintenance bc the price isn't outrageous to maintain. I just shake my head and move on.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Oh, and that Sylvester in the first pic was done by a "professional ISA certified" tree company here. I'll take a close up and you'll see how crappy the cuts they made near the trunk are. But, you see this company doing work everywhere just bc people see their trucks. Their work on palms and hardwoods flat out sucks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Possibly the irrigation system is not sufficiently watering these spots? Just because "some" water is hitting the area does not mean it is enough. Check for proper "head to head" design. I see this all the time.

10. greendoctor

The client would scream if a tree company left that much trash and stubs on the palms. Reason why prices are higher here is that a fast job does not pass.