Empire Zoysia 1.5" with Tru-cut

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, May 22, 2012.

1. Is that for reel mowing or rotary? I actually made a mistake. A weekly $25 lawn gets cut 2x/mo in the winter, so it's really a $33 lawn on a monthly basis.

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

So you charge more for a reel cut per cut and get twice the cuts. Sweet!

Do you treat too? I am considering a monthly rate where we cut once but also treat and use Primo. I will have to try hard because I do not see this as being normal plan where I live. I think it would be a good improvement.

Say I mow at 1.5" / 2 = 0.75 If I use primo and it grows just under 1/8" I could cut it every 7 days with little problem.

3. I don't cut any 2x/week, because they are maintained at 1"+.

4. Duekster

from DFW, TX

How fast does Zoysia grow?, clearly not as fast a bermuda.

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I am so glad someone else agrees about grass height and water usage/drought resistance...I'm tired of hearing "cut it taller so it can take the heat" good god almighty, it's Bermuda not fescue...it loves heat...but it likes food an water too.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

The more green leaves the larger the water demand...it also looks like trash.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Depends on cultivar. Empire grows faster than a Diamond Zoysia lawn I maintain.

8. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Others will say taller grass shades the soil and reduces weed seed germination. Not sure that is actually offset by a dense turf.

9. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Same could be said for Bermuda as well.

10. For zoysia and bermuda, yes. For St. Augustine, ESPECIALLY Floratam, not the case. Floratam just doesn't get that dense enough to choke out weeds. It needs to be cut higher, and as a result, reduces the amount of weed germination.