Empire Zoysia 1.5" with Tru-cut

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, May 22, 2012.

1. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Good enough. I think we are on the same page for the most part. ST Augstine is just different but does not deserve the bad rap it often gets.

2. Bad rap? Not sure why it gets that. It is a lot cheaper to fully maintain compared to zoysia and hybrid bermuda. The ONLY thing I hate about it is not being able to kill grassy weeds. Once crabgrass gets in, your done. I have NEVER had problems with chinch bugs, which leads me to fully believe that chinch damage is due to homeowners over-fertilizing and/or watering, and it getting cut too short. I really like Seville. It is more dense and you can cut it a little shorter.

3. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Green Doctor can tell you more about grassy weeds than I but it seems we are now seeing some better solutions for all grass types. Historically crab grass was best controlled with Pre-Emergents.

The big problem in Texas is SA dies if not watered where as the others go dormant. Some parts of this state do not allow SA to be planted or the watering restrictions will kill it.

Not really sure how others keep Zoysia and Bermuda green with their watering restrictions. Buffalo would be much better but harder to establish in a short time.

4. That's the big difference. We have a 5-6 month rainy season. We have weeks were it will rain 4 or 5 times. Even if it gets dry, we have irrigation 2x/week.

5. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Yep. We still have the long germination period for crab grass but less natural water for the turf.

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

My lawn: 1/2" and not a single weed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Duekster

from DFW, TX

No argument from me. Unless it is St Augustine :laugh:

8. cgaengineer

People just think tall Bermuda is thick...short reel mowed Bermuda is dense...lacks brown stems. It would be fun to bring a cool season fellow to GA that has a lawn business.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. cgaengineer

Ok...I do have just about a 6" sq patch of spurge...
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Duekster

from DFW, TX

This is not confession, that is over on the do you work on sunday thread. :laugh: