Empire Zoysia 1.5" with Tru-cut

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, May 22, 2012.

1. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

$0.02 aerate and top dress with compost is best AND first but use sand for fine leveling.
  2. Ira

Ira LawnSite Silver Member

Asked the guy that does my lawn fert stuff about this. They are a fairly large company (state-wide but not nation-wide). He said it would cost about $350 to do 8000 sqft (about 1/3 of the lawn) as a "trial run". That's for aeration and top dressing with compost. He said the compost won't level the yard. He said if I water quite a bit to soften the lawn up before they aerate, the plugs would be about 1/4" to 1" long, depending on soil compaction. Does all that sound about right? Does the lawn look pretty bad (due to the plugs and compost) for a while? How soon can you mow afterwards?

Still need to find someone in the Houston area that will top dress my lawn to level it out. I don't think top dressing for lawn leveling is very common around here.
  3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

The price sounds fair but the plugs should be 2 to 3" long. How much compost? 1/4" for 8000 SF is 6 yards.... so I doubt they are adding much.

Some people rake up the plugs, others let them dry out them mow them to distrubute the top soil.
  4. chaser2587

chaser2587 LawnSite Member

Thanks Chris! Oh c'mon yours looks smooth as glass another 1/8" wont hurt. Seriously though your lawn looks awesome no matter what height your cutting at!
    Posted via Mobile Device