Employee background check

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tx_angler, Dec 16, 2003.

Do you perform a background check on employees

Poll closed Dec 21, 2003.
  1. I check drivers license only

6 vote(s)
  2. I check criminal background only

0 vote(s)
  3. I check both drivers license and criminal background

1 vote(s)
  4. I don’t check either drivers license or criminal background

3 vote(s)
  1. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

Those of you that have employees, do you conduct a drivers license check, a criminal background check. I'm going to need to hire someone this spring and my average house is 500k or better and I want to know that my new employee is not casing the place while they are there.
  2. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

we live in such a unpopulated county you mostly know everyone who is worth a darn and so forth
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

same with me jaybird, all you have to do is ask two or three people and they usually know something about them.
  4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't mention checking their verifiable employment history.
    This, many times, will give clue to any problems.
  5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Tx_angler,

Here is a quote from this post.

"One thing I feel very strongly about is protecting yourself, your family, your other employees, and your customers when hiring employees. Take the time to check and verify references. Most of your candidates don't expect this and will give you what you want to hear, not the truth. Keys to watch for: employees that always blame management for their firings, references that are "plants", ie, relative or friends, overstated earnings and times of employment. You may save yourself from future headaches. We recently had a candidate that applied. His background check revealed a recently paroled s*x offender. He falsified his work record to cover his prison time. We passed on this candidate. 6 months later he abducted, raped, and murdered a young girl."
  6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

you can do a background check online...........Think it cost about $40............. Best money you will ever spend!!!!!

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You don't need to spend money to do a background check. The police are more than willing to do it for free. A lot of wanted people tend to apply for manual jobs like cutting grass, construction laborer, gas stations and the like. When I was manager of a Texaco station 22 years ago I had a guy come in and apply. A quick check with the police and they were there to arrest him on several felony warrants.