employee benefits??

Discussion in 'Employment' started by EARTH5, Jul 9, 2014.

1. EARTH5

EARTH5 LawnSite Member

I have an employee who is threatening to leave for a union company with paid holidays after 60 days , paid 1 week vacation after 6 months and 401 k..
    He has worked for me for 4 years and i am wondering what the industry norm is or some insight from others.. should we be offering more? Also he has a company truck we let him use to go to and from work... We are a small company with 12 employees and looking out for the future etc… any positive feedback would be greatly appreciated... thanks

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

4 years and no paid days off? You're lucky he hung around that long.

Where I work, we have 16 employees, actually to be fair, more like 5 since 11 are seasonal.

We're highly paid, have vacation days, paid holidays, cell phone reimbursement, and health ins. We're looking into 401k or some other retirement plan. I don't want to work anywhere else.

In my opinion, you should look into starting benefits. Paid holidays and paid vacation are a good start. Figure out a fair way to implement it. If you want to hang on to good employees, you have to be willing to offer a quality lifestyle so they want to stay.

With health ins, there's a lot of options, 50/50, employee pays full, etc. Just look into it and talk it over with your guys.

And maybe be more specific with "threatening to leave." There's a lot of ambiguity...is he saying, "hey I like working here, but I gotta look out for my family," or is it "screw you, you selfish pig?"

3. EARTH5

EARTH5 LawnSite Member

thanks for reply… yes, he is saying i have to look out for my future and family i understand that too.. was thinking of starting w paid holidays then vacations next season and possible implementation of 401k

4. EARTH5

EARTH5 LawnSite Member

also how long do you have to work there for these benefits and whats the vacation benefit? 1 week after so many months or years?/

5. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

90 days for all benefits to be available. Cell phone reimbursement for crew leaders. 1st year-2nd year, 1 week vacation, 1 additional week every other year, maxing out at 5 weeks (I think?) Health is 50/50, plus we have option of 100% into supplemental insurance not covered by our health/vision plan. For like $15/month each (very very rough estimate), we can have access to dental, accident, disability, life, and cancer. I only chose dental and accident and it's like $20-25 for me per month. 6 paid holidays.

6. EARTH5

EARTH5 LawnSite Member

ok thats a help guess we have been lucky in the past but may need change as u mentioned….

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

What do you offer now?

8. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Who do you use? Insurance wise.

9. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Our company plan is through UPMC, a regional conglomerate.

The subsidiary insurance is through Aflac.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

And is this a lawn mowing business?