Employee Bonus Check!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JDOG, May 5, 2003.

1. JDOG

JDOG LawnSite Member

We just started a system with our crew. If they stay the entire season we cut them a "bonus check" at the end. Its 50 cents an hour. ie. 1200 hrs worked over the season they get a check for $600. I have just implemented it. Any thoughts or has anyone tried this?

thanks
    j

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like an idea for me....if i was an employee, id love to get an extra $600 for sticking around.

3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

That isn't something I would do, but then again I don't know too much. I think that if you are providing them with a good work environment, and compensating them properly for the work that they do, I think you wouldn't have to worry about this too much. There will always be problems like; this person offered me more money for less hours, I need to change careers, etc. but whatever.

4. Lots of places don’t allow you to deduct damages from an employee’s pay. So where is the motivation for them to perform and take care of your stuff? Here’s an idea I came up with in another life as a Manufacturing Engineer:

The “bonus” is based off of profit. It’s totally above and beyond all the terms of employment. If there have been no screw-ups and the quality is acceptable, then everyone gets the bonus. That’s motivates everyone to perform (production => profit), and still watch out for their own and everyone else’s quality (good work => bonus).

On the other hand, if someone runs a mower into a fence and you have to replace a section, that cost (loss) is applied against their bonus. In the manufacturing world, it’s easy to measure a part and check it for acceptance. In lawn-care, it might be less definitive, but in any case you have to have concrete guidelines so employees know exactly what will effect the amount of their bonus.

At the company I was laid off from, the owner started the bonus’ out small until he could get a grasp of how much could be attributed to the program. I don’t think he ever had a solid number, but he did start increasing the bonus’. Anyway, it was the best of both worlds, motivation with consequences. My suggestion was to deduct losses directly from the bonus of whoever was responsible for that loss, but he ended up applying losses to departments. I don’t know which would be better. There are lots of possible combinations.

5. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

For every year that a employee stays with me I give them $100 extra at the end of the year, my foreman will get $700 this year because this is his 7 year.

6. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I used to do a weekly bonus based on profits and seemed to work out ok. I only have one FT employee and one PT employee so retention is the most important thing for me. This year I gave my new FT work a $250 starting bonus which he keeps if he finishes the season and a $750 bonus if he finishes the season. He seems to be a great worker so far. Hopefully this end of the year bonus would make him think twice before quitting.

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Some really good ideas have been offered. The premise that everyone seems to share is a committed employee is a good thing that should be rewarded. I particularly like Bluesteel's option as I have worked a few places before that had this type of "safety/performance" reward system.

Gravely_Man

8. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds good to me

9. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

A guy I used to work for many moons ago offered a year end bonus. He also implimented a wellnes bonus everyweek if you did not call in sick. He also took us all out for lunch once a month at sizzler. We liked sizzler day :p . was hard and im sure still is. to get good help that will work in the heat

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I don't have any hired help, but I think about this subject from time to time. One idea I came up was a $100 bonus every month the employee missed no time. I think that a weekly or monthly bonus is better for them because it will keep them motivated, but as a owner a year end bonus might work better because you could base it off profits. Some pretty good ideas here!

MATT