Employee breaking equipment.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RABBITMAN11, Oct 20, 2010.

1. RABBITMAN11

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my guys has melted a blower extension, not once but twice. in the last few months. And today he backed into a pole with the box truck and bent the bumper. How do you guys deal with this? He also has been talking alot on his personal phone which im going to put a stop to that tonight. Suggestions please!!!!

2. Tim Smith

Tim Smith LawnSite Member

Fire him before you have a major problem
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Amani

Amani LawnSite Member

You know the previous response sounds harsh but it might be the best. You could also try and make him feel the cost of replacement or repair of your equipment. This has actually worked for me.

4. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you melt a blower extension? TWICE????

5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, twice, it is called in aint his equipment that is how. agrivating to say the least.

we took this approach...... cant legally doc pay for things like that so we instead have a bonus system that gets points taken away for things like this, so you start with 100%, and could end up with 0%. bonuses are usually pretty darn nice.

in the end though if it is all the time, fire them or make them quit by making them hate work

6. RABBITMAN11

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

laid it across exhaust of slice seeder when putting it in truck. Second he laid it on the exhaust of a skid sprayer...

7. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

As far as the equipment damage a written warning should be all you need to do . The truck incident needs a drug test on the employee Just to let him know your serious. As far as the phone calls. Let me be clear. IF HE'S TAKING AND MAKING CALLS ON YOUR TIME HE'S COSTING YOU MONEY. Just because he's got a phone dosen't mean he has to use it. When did getting and making phone calls at work become OK. I see so much of this now it drives me crazy. Tell him no calls, no texting, no anything. Employee's need to do their job. Let them plan their social life on their own time!

8. castlerockmo

castlerockmo LawnSite Senior Member

The cell phone thing I fought a guy for four years! Finally I had to can his arse. But him only talking 30 min a day was costing me 800 a year at bear minimum, over 4 years it would be more than 3200.00! I had enough of him.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. azjojo99

azjojo99 LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

Written warning, then when it happens again, fire him.

It seems like he is getting dangerously close to burning up your truck. What if he puts the blower against the exhaust of the skid sprayer, starts the sprayer and goes into a back yard and then wonders why it stopped spraying in a few minutes while taking on his cell phone? Would he hang up to call the fire department?

It is easy to find good employees, just fire the bad ones. It will all work out in the long run. If an employee of mine causes me mental or financial pain, its simple, they are gone.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Tim

I agree 100%. You got to stop and ask yourself what kind of fool comes to work as a Yard Boy?? What kind of job did he get fired from because he isn't the Brightest Penny in the roll?? It is bad enough with the Fools that have their own equipment let alone the broke Fools. I keep a lot of distance between myself and Fools.

Quick Story.

I did a customer a favor and hired his Brother-in-Law. Second day on the job he drops a Brand New Weed Eater in the Canal. His Story was. He want to take a rest and set the running Weed Eater on the top of the Seawall. Not only did I fire the Fool but I made the Customer buy a brand new Weed Eater. Life is too short to put up with Idiots. Oh and the Customer stayed a customer because knew the guy was a jerk and was embarrassed.

Catch the First sentence in my signature. It rings true of total lawn industry.