Employee Breaks Window out!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zero_turn_mowers, May 19, 2007.

1. zero_turn_mowers

zero_turn_mowers LawnSite Senior Member

I have been through this before with employee's breaking windows out with string trimmers and mowers, I have just paid for it out of pocket and let it be but it seems they are getting laxed on the reason "it was an accident" and arent being careful, how do you guys handle your employee's.
  2. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

When I have a helper the first thing I will say. You break it, you buy it!
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know if you can make them pay for an accident while in your employ and using your equipment. That is what insurance is for and if you don't have any I suggest strongly you get some. In the mean time be sure to train them to walk the areas close to the house and pick up any possible projectiles, at least the first time they go to mow there. Accidents DO happen, but happen much less if you take precautions to prevent them.
  4. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

I checked with a lawyer on this many years ago. There was a case that went to the Supreme Court. It involved an employee of a restaurant that dropped a stack of plates and broke them all.

The Supreme Court ruled that the employee cannot be held accountable.

Because of this case, it is generally accepted in legal circles that employees may not be charged by employers for accidental damages.
  5. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

Yeah, That sounds real smart. Let the DOL get ahold of you!
  6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I offer my guys a yearly bonus based on safety. This includes injuries and broken equipment/property. Injuries wipe out the bonus completely. Broken equipment/property come out of the bonus. If it cost more than the bonus pays, no bonus for you!:nono:
  7. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I agree with Sheshovel that "that is what insurance is for". I'll attach a picture of some window shattering items i've been picking up off peoples lawns lately.

All of these have been picked up off lawns this season and not one of them came from the same property. Most were hidden in longer grass and it was a sharp eye that noticed them before sending them flying through a window however several rattled around under the deck for quick moment or two.

8. zero_turn_mowers

Lets say you have for example 5 accidents a year (windows, property, etc.) "All" our accidents have been under $400.00 do you run and turn a claim in on every one, I have very good insurance rates on all my trucks and equipment and everything I own, Does a person risk the chance of getting cancelled and your premiums go up or "Claim", I personally save insurance for the major things, it the window was $2000-$3000 ... yes thats insurance....
  9. zero_turn_mowers

I like this Idea...
  10. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Around here you can not deduct money for breakages from a paycheck. It's illegal.