Employee chore list, Everyday routine jobs.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clut0350, Feb 5, 2004.

1. clut0350

clut0350 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I would like to set up a system for my employees that assigns specific tasks that need to be done daily in order for things to run as smooth as possible? Anyone already doing this and how. I'm talking about things that need to be done every morning, during the day, and at the end of the day before clocking out. Thanks for the advice!
  2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

We train the employees as to what pieces of equipment get loaded on what trailer and how. Prior to loading, all 4 stroke equipment get checked for oil levels. each trailer gets 1 can mixed gas & 1 can straight gas, and a hand sprayer w/ round-up. As far as the maintenance chores, we make sure that noone stands around while others are working. We instruct them as to what they should do once their task is complete until it becomes routine. Finally at the days conclusion, all equipment is fueled, edgers checked for blade wear, trimmer line checked & restrung if necessary. Crew chiefs will refuel trucks if less than 1/4 tank and/or re-fill cans when necessary. Certain days are put aside for more extensive equipment maint. including blade sharpening, lubing, oil & filter change. Hope this helps.
  3. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I have my foreman come in early and load the equipment for his crew. He checks all oil, filters, tires, etc. He is responsible to make sure thing he needs is on the truck and trailer. This way you don't have people passing the blame to everyone else on the crew.
  4. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

First thing they clock in. The maintains crews meet with me for a quick 10 min route meeting then load their equipment and leave. at 12 noon is lunch everybody return for lunch to clock out. I do not let them work through lunch. 1:00 pack to work. When they are done with the route they come back to the shop unload all equipment, clean off all equipment, refill all fluids and Clock out

Landscaping Crews: Clock in At 8:00am then 10 min production meeting they are gone till 12 noon for lunch clock out till 1:00pm then back to work for the day. Then back to the shop at 5:eek:o to clock out. At the end of every job they must clean and go over all the equipment, and repair if necessary. I have very good crews here so No need for constant supervising. Unlike the maintenance crews, I always have to be on top of them.

All Trucks and trailers are washed and waxed on friday
  5. clut0350

clut0350 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Thanks fellas. Keep the advice comin!
  6. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Chute what area do you service?
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I always load and unload the equipment myself for the employees don't have to do it. 15 to 30 mins of unloading and loading a day adds up to a lot of money during the year.

The only major chore, beside their regular schedule is making sure the vehicle is clean off pop bottles and trash