employee cleanup incentive

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawnboy, Feb 19, 2006.

1. lawnboy

lawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I got a problem with trash, and guys laying things around our shop when they get back at night. No matter how many times you tell someone it seems they just throw the stuff somewhere, and never in the right spot. I just drove out to the shop the other day and walked around, and i could have a guy spend a day on cleaning up other peoples messes. We are in a high traffic area and i want things looking neat and dont want guys spending an hour a day doing it, waisting labor. An Ideas???

2. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you pick up after yourself? Do you ever pick up after others?

I would make it known what you want. When it doesn't happen I would make it known again. Put up signs...make an example out of someone. All the while you should help clean up their messes. As you make the message louder they will get more and more worried about you cleaning up their messes, and they will start to clean them up themselves.

No need for an incentive...they should want a clean work place. You should also hit at the safety part of it. Maybe offer a safety bonus instead. Once a month go through the shop and make that part of your safety bonus. After the first few monthes of not seeing a bonus...they will start to listen.

3. salandscape

salandscape LawnSite Member

I hate employees!

4. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

My other job is all doctors and nurses. We rarely put things where they belong, and there are signs everywhere. My favorite sign is "Your Mother does not work here, clean up after yourself." With the exception of the Operating Room, in which everything is always were it belongs. I doubt it will ever happen. Do like we did in the service, have a "field day" on Thursday evening, and clean everything.

5. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Fire someone for making a mess, the others will listen.

6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i used to get on the guys everyday about trash in the trucks, trailers etc. now i just wait till fridays. myself or someone i know will get it done will spend a few mins to look over the truck/trailer/equipment. if something doesn't look right no one is getting paid untill its taken care of. for the past year i haven't had ANY problems with trash other than a soda can here and there. prior to this i'd flip a seat up in one of trucks and find a 55gal worth of trash in the trucks.. very aggravating.. like someone said before, employees SUCK...

7. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

teach them what can happen when they are sloppy, start hiding the things they use once in awhile to make them clean up everything to find it. they might learn then.

8. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

excuse me, but I thought employees were hard to find. How bout pass out checks only when the shop is spotless. Sorry aintnofun did not see your post till later, so I just edited

9. lawnboy

lawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

i like the idea about the passing out checks when things are clean. Nothing pisses me off more than burger king bags in the trucks, and the smell of some of them. Not to mention someone that had left over chips, and dumps it in a totally different spot. As far as firing someone as an example. That will get me no where, except further behind.

10. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is maybe a dumb idea, but....... what about an incentive or bonus plan? I am looking to implement (sp?) one myself this year and am going to include basic cleaning of various things in it. (equipment, the shop, the truck, trailer on and on) you get the jest of what I am saying. It doesn't have to be perfect but it does have to be respectfully clean since it is all of our stuff or in this case your stuff. I want to teach a team concept and for the workers to have a bit of pride in everything they do, this includes keeping everything clean and professional looking. just an idea. good luck