Employee Commision or wage ?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Maxwells, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Maxwells

Maxwells LawnSite Member
    from NZ

Hi
    I was just wondering what people do with crew, i am looking at employing another person and want to put them on some kind of commission or bonus structure to encourage them to work hard and produce great work.
    Does anyone do this and how is it done a %%% of lawns etc...Any feedback would be great

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Figure out a good average and pay them that per yard. Works best on small yards (ie. $3.25 per yard @ 3 yards per hour) Sure they will hate doing the big ones, but show them that it all comes out in the wash.

3. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Offer a bonus for work well done. Set up a point system to base a bonus on.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I offer a decent hourly wage, $15 to mow and crew chiefs get $22.50

5. Maxwells

Maxwells LawnSite Member
    from NZ

Thanks Rod - So do you run a crew and a crew chief so they will rearly need to mow fast to make you $$$$

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have 2 crew chiefs. They both oversee a 3-man operation (that includes themselves).

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this is not a bad idea. what if you paid $8 an hr base, then a commision? this would motivate an employee.

8. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i use a helper at times when i'm really busy, and here's how i work it out. i pay them $4 an hr plus 8-10% of what i get for each lawn.... this works real great on drop gate lawns...

ex. $25 lawn @ 10%= $2.5 commision or bonus
    i tend to cut about 3-5 drop gates lawn an hr. so
    $2.5 X 3= $7.5 + $4(orginial hour wage)= $11.50 an hr
    $2.5 X 5= $12.5 + $4 (orginial hour wage)= $16.50 an hr

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I know you are only 17 years old (why aren't you in school this morning?) and new to cutting grass but that is illegal big time! You MUST in this business pay at least the Federal M/W which is $5.15 an hour regardless of bonuses and you cannot use the bonuses to "say" you are paying the $5.15 because that a "bonus" is just that, pay on top of your normal pay that may or may not be obtained even.

10. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i use my best friend for about 8-16hrs a week... under the table i know its not legit but its a start.....