Employee contracts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott's turf, Jun 19, 2002.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Just had my only employee (full time) decide that he is quitting. He said that he will give me two weeks but I don't know if I want to put my rep on the line if he is leaving. I have a full time job and work only a few hours a week running the biz, (maint., books, landscaping jobs). By him leaving it is really going to screw me up. For my next employee I was thinking of a contract that would result in him getting say an extra $500 at the end of the year for completing the season and if he quits he loses 1 weeks pay. Is this legal? I am trying to make it through the year with one guy. Any other ideas?
  2. snospark

snospark LawnSite Member

:blob3: Hi!
    My husband and I run a Landscape and Lawn Maint. business in CT. and have major employee issues, but it seems so do all of our competitors. I think offering the bonus at the end of the season is a good idea... but what happens if you fire the guy? Is he still entitled to the bonus? A friend brought up the idea of a "sign on bonus"... that we are thinking of implementing. It means that we offer the employee a certain amount of money based on his experience for beginning employment with us, then if he completes the season with us, he gets another bonus. We share your frustration. Good luck in all of your endeavors!
    Sparkle Lake
  3. First off you started your own problem.

You relied on a single person to do most of the work, while you are not there.

So that makes you a solo LCO using the employee as the operator.

BIG NO NO.

Second, you put a lot of control of your income in a single persons hands.

Second BIG NO NO.

Now you see what hapens, he quits and you now have to work 2 times as hard.

Go MEXICAN I did 4 weeks ago and wish I had done it years ago!!

American employees SUCK!!
  4. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

where did you find info on hiring mexican labor? when i was in bahrain a few months ago i wanted to bring home some pakistan labor. i never had a chance to look into it. these guys would be smiling while they were sweeping the curb with a palm branch. they are just happy to have a job and food. they are very hard workers.
  5. Can you say GREEN CARD?

Long story on the hook up, but there are plenty more when I need them.
  6. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Lawngodfather you could always move to mexico if you think the american workers is so bad. I employee american workers and I will put them up against anybody including your mexicans. The money my guys make gets spent in america and not mexico which is important to our economy.
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Those "American employees SUCK!!" put a man on the Moon .... please ....

employees problems ARE IN DIRECT RELATIONSHIP TO OWNER INPUT ... that input includes Training (what a concept) pay (go figure) n work enviroment (what those spolied brats)
  8. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

At a LC I used to work for he had an "iron man bonus". If an employee made it the whole 8 month mowing season (28 weeks) without missing a day or being late more than 2 times. (scheduled days off were ok for doc, dentist, or family death, ect.) mainly calling in sick. They would get one weeks pay as a bonus.
  9. What about importing a few Afgan's? I here that they are willing to put it all on the line for their employers.
  10. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I had 8 guys quit last year throughout the the season. It literally killed me. On advice from another Lco I'm doing a bonus incentive program. Employees must be consitently on time, miss no more than 3 days, and work the entire season. If they are fired for consistently being late, abuse to equip. or other reasons they forfeit their bonus.(Be sure to document these cases) I'm matching every hour they work with $1. They all have sighned a paper with the bonus system outlined, that they understand it and that it is not part of their hourly rate. So far it's working great. If they quit early they will walk away from quite a bit of money. At the end of the season it shows up as a tip to them(on taxs) and is cheaper for you than paying them the extra dollar and hour throughout the year on payroll. Basically all they have to do is show up, work hard, and commit to helping you grow your bussiness.