Employee Criminal Record

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JasonPC, Mar 8, 2003.

1. JasonPC

JasonPC LawnSite Member

Hey all! Well, my wife and I have been interviewing new prospective employees. We thought we find the right guy to head our mowing crew. But we called his landscaping reference and the guy said he broke into his shop and stole equipment. To boot, he has a drug problem, etc!! Wow. Totally blew my mind. Here's my question...

I called local police dept and they said it could take a month to get a criminal record back from the state. There's paperwork to fill, etc. It's not so easy in Massachusetts.

Do any of you know agencies that run criminal records for you as well as driving records?

Thanks!!

Jay

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

There is a state site that has many cases entered into it. Its the circuit court system site and it deals with all cases from traffic to divorce to murder. You have to enter the last name but if you have more info the better it is. I like snooping on people I know.

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.docufind.com/

Plenty of Pay sights ..... but little price to pay for correct info ... were lucky in FL the info is free on the web

Here's a limited free one
    http://www.crimetime.com/bbocrim.htm

Also that former boss should be careful what he says .... the question to ask is "would you hire him back"

When my best foreman left his job .... boss said the same thing ..... my guy asked me to call some of his clients he had been performing work for years while working for this local good size outfit .... they all said the same thing .... great guy ....hard worker .... pleasant to talk to ..... 1 of these customers left the other outfit to follow my guy .... that customer was one of their very first customers (gave the guy his 1st push mower when still in high school ....15 year client)

4. Greenie

Greenie LawnSite Member

You might try the town the employee lives in, visit the district court and ask. Here , when I last did it - the court supplies a computer terminal that you enter the name and DOB in and you'll get a list of convictions. It's scary what you'll find sometime.
    The County (Superior Court) had books to pour through, not as easy as a computer terminal but you can still find information - it just takes time.
    All of this information should be readily accessible to the public providing you're not checking juvenile records which are not available.

5. MDMowing

MDMowing LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Check with the DCI in your State.

:)):D

6. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious........ Do you ask on your application "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?"
    Even if someone answers "no"... finding out later that he/she lied can be grounds for dismissal

Also.... look into Drug Screening...... Sometimes telling a potential applicant that you test ALL applicants for illegal drug use might dissuade some of the users from applying in the first place. The time you save by not having to interview these people may pay for the tests you do have to have done.

I work for a large co. full time. All applicants who get to the interview stage are sent for a drug test as a last step before beginning work. Also... any employee INVOLVED in an accident is tested..... therefore if If an employee is high, and is being careless and gets injured by a piece of equipment someone else is operating, the operator doesn't automatically get blamed.

Good points by others also..... Keep in mind that the applicant may have left the last job under bad circumstances, after a disagreement, whatever....... Check more than one reference, if only one has negative comments, I would allow for the possibility that there is just some personal issues.

Good Luck

7. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Jason,

Being a cop Ill let you in on a little secret. While your state Police may give you info on him in your state, that doesn't mean there isn't more. You have to consider a little thing called a closed record; don't ask me to explain this, it would take to long and none of those so called pay for info sites on the web is going to give you that info either. Once its closed it's like it never happened.

I would from now on have them list all residences in the last 5 or 10 years, that way you can check their record not only in your state but in other states a person might of lived prior.

Now you know why they ask you for all your past residences when you fill out a job app.

8. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

JasonPC -

I have been a litigation paralegal for 10 years. Here's the real story, end of file:

Criminal history is public record so just go to your County courthouse, walk into the vault and ask for help utilizing the computer system. It's all right there, does not matter if it's a closed case or not. We do it all of the time at the office. The records go back years and years. You can look all you want for free. Copying pages will cost you a little.

If you don't want to spend time going to the court house, search from your home online at: accurint.com. It is flat out scary the information you can find on people through accurint, plus it is dirt cheap. Do yourself a favor and look at this site today if you have personnel concerns.

If you really want to find information (especially if they are new to your area from out of state) hire somebody at a process server's firm, or maybe a company that performs asset checks. There are tons of them. They can usually find all of the fringe information you could ever want, but these services are very expensive.

9. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

More scary info: Online, key in ______ (whatever your State is) Department of Corrections. The search will take you to your State's DOC site & I'll bet you can pull photos of the ciminals plus look at their entire rap sheet. That's how it is in NC.

Also, you can key in _______ (whatever your State is) Sex Offenders. I am telling you, you will be shocked how many of these people are out there - in YOUR town. Never mind hiring, if you have kids you need to be aware of this resource.

10. bigalow

bigalow LawnSite Member

The background check will include the most common databases to ensure that all relevant and pertinent information is found. If even one of these databases is missed the background check is not thorough, and this can have costly or even deadly consequences for you or those you care about. The best background search is thorough and complete, and includes the following databases.

1. All criminal records, including both arrest records and conviction records
    2. The sex offender registry, in case the subject was arrested and convicted in another county or state
    3. Vital statistic records, including births, deaths, marriages, and divorces, as well as other name changes
    4. Court records for all civil, criminal, and traffic cases
    5. Property records, including searches for any property the subject owns individually or jointly
    6. Driving records, including any tickets or moving violations

However, there are laws which some protection to job applicants, tenants, and credit applicants. The Fair Credit Reporting Act is a nationwide law that requires you to tell the applicant about bad information in the background check report if it contains the reason that you did not approve his application, and you must tell him where you got the report from. California has additional safeguards against discrimination, for example, to protect against age discrimination, you cannot ask a persons birthday or age, but that makes it harder for you to be sure you have identified the correct person.