Employee demographics

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 6'7 330, Sep 13, 2005.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

With the exception of a few family members who help from time to time. Our entire employee workforce is Mexican. We rarely get Non-Hispanics white or black applying for employment. I was wondering what the worker demographics are around other parts of the country, and if you get many Non- Hispanic American applicants for employment. I talk to a Lot landscapers from here on the forum, and most depend on Hispanics for their workforce.

2. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Most new yard sevices are being started by Mexican Americans and we're seeing Caucasians working for them. A few years back it was just the opposite but predominantly I believe most companies have mainly Mexican crew members in our area.

3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

we have one employee. (caucasian) get loads of people stopping us asking if were hiring (all caucasian), (all old guys). would consider anyone for employment if we needed it. i don't care what race you are aslong as you work good.

4. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

I'm fairly sure the Mexican families got their start working for one of the big landsdcapers in our area and now they have their own business. This is America the way it ought to be. :) Good guys too- we always smile and wave at one another if we cross paths on our routes.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

caucasian-- only because thats whats in our area. Know of 2 black lco but they work the larger cities.

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

interesting observation... no hindu workers, bill, lol! my experience is that hispanics usually show up for work the first day, dont whine about being sore and tired and needing a smoke break every 2 minutes all day during work, and they dont quit after working one day.

not all white people are like, now, either. the many that are different and motivated and hard working own their own lawn biz and hire hispanics. El Salvadorians are the best workers... good food, too! :p

7. BobcatZT

BobcatZT LawnSite Member

You still bitchin about smokers? Good god dude, give it a rest. Not all smokers are lazy or need to smoke every 2 minutes. :angry:

8. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

I have to say most of mine are farm guys..They work very hard and take pride in what they do. They love to landscape :) And if they get out of line they go get there own switch from our local tree.. :D

9. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here, 99.9% of the time Caucasians who apply for work, are one of three things, or all three at once, Drunks, crack heads or ex-cons. It would appear ,the hard physical work is not very attractive proposition for most Caucasians.

The last Caucasian we hired was great for about a month, and we thought we had a whiz kid. Then he started on the dope and he changed like the difference between night and day.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Need some of those farm boys Bill, Hard work all day is what there use to and for not a lot of $$$$. SOOOOO the more they make the harder they tend to work.