1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Employee discount plan question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DanaMac, Jan 14, 2004.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I have a buddy who works for Ford, and can get me his "A"plan discount on a new truck. I looking at the new F150. Any idea what kind of discount you get from that plan, or how it works? I am also thinking of the F250, but I don't pull much. And no, I don't need the Powerstroke. Too much in town/stop and go traffic for me. We do irrigation service and repair only. I am still looking at Dodge and maybe Chevy/GM (although I am pretty unhappy with GM products right now).
  2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

If it works like GMC's you pretty much get it at dealer cost.
  3. turfmower

turfmower LawnSite Member

Get the 250 Hd it is a lot heaver truck. I had a 1985 F150 It was ok untill I got bigger trailer 12 footer was ok but 16 footer beat the **** out of it.
  4. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Does your buddy know? Just a thought...
  5. steinerguy

steinerguy LawnSite Member

When you go to the dealer, you need to have the A plan authorization number that is assigned to the person. (My brother works at the HD truck plant and he was the one to get mine). Every vehicle has an A plan cost assigned by Ford and the dealer gets a flat fee to administer the plan. You still get the rebates ect. from the program but the dealer most likely won't give the A plan cost without confirming the authorization number. There isn't a fixed amount of reduction because it varies based on the various packages within the truck, so the only sure way it to be able to see the invoice.

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks guys. My buddy has no idea what the discount would be. He just knows he can give out so many per year, and nobody has taken him up on it. It probably won't happen until spring though. I appreciate the info.
  7. mosynthetics

mosynthetics LawnSite Member

I have good neighbor who is retired GM factory worker. He offered me the discount he gets to use - something one vehicle every year or every other year....

But the kicker is the vehicle has to be purchased in his name. Which means he has to pay sales tax and tag the vehicle and the "sell" the vehicle to me which means I have to pay sales tax and tag the vehicle. That eats up a bunch of the savings. Then since I am not rich, my bank loan is for a used vehicle instead of new at a slightly higer rate. I could not take advantage of dealer low interest financing.

In the end, I could not make the numbers work for the hassles.

I would guess that most mfgs require the employee to take possession of the vehicle because otherwise they would be selling vehicles to anyone and everyone at employee discounts.
  8. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

A plan is only available to direct relatives, ie. mom, dad, brother, sister. A friend can get you the X plan which is available to friends and family of Ford and related employees. The X plan pricing is A Plan + 4%. This usually works out to be a great savings, usually several thousand dollars. However some rebates and incentives will not work with these plans.